Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 15 Jan 2018
Médecins Sans Frontières is looking for:
Mobile Implementation Officer (MIO) Mental Health – Regional (Mental Health Technician)
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by 25 sections and offices worldwide. All 5 operational directorates are present in Kenya.
Position description, Objective and Job Environment
- The position is Field based with visits to different countries 70% of the time, and partial presence in Nairobi for briefings/meetings in between missions. Proximity to Field/missions from the country of residence/domicile is highly considerable.
- This position supports Mental Health activities of OCBA Operations in Africa and is managed by the Head of the Medical Operational Unit (Hierarchical) together with the Mental Health Advisor (Functional) based in Barcelona. The regional support MH technician will contribute through his/her expertise, to an improved MHPS activities as well as improved case management for patients treated. He/she will follow and monitor the MHPS activities and will support/mentor the MHAMs (mental health activity managers).
- He/she reports hierarchically to the Head of the Medical Operational Unit (HOMU) and functionally to the Mental Health Advisor based in Barcelona.
- Priorities for visits will be decided by Mental Health Advisor together with Cell 2, 3 and 5 Tesacos, and Head of Medical Operational Unit when inter-cell coordination is deemed necessary.
Main tasks & responsibilities
- Strengthen the MHPS programs in the Region and regularly give feedback to the Cells and MHA in Barcelona.
- Promote and contribute to the capitalization and standardization of MHPS programs in the Region.
- He/she keeps regular contact with all MHAM/MH supervisors (at least every 2 weeks) and mentor them.
- He/she supports and answers to questions sent by the different projects
- He/she suggests the necessary means for the activities of the projects (in accordance to Mental Health Advisor) : I, Human resources: qualification, numbers II, Organization of the mental health activities
- He/she organize the quantitative and qualitative monitoring of the MHPS activities in the region. He/she is involved in supporting or improving the tools used for monitoring and evaluation. She/he gives support to field teams for the setup, the analysis and the interpretation of mental health data.
- She/he suggests and may support operational research projects, according to MHA.
- She/he makes sure that there is a good coordination and continuation of care in the projects
- She/he visits the fields, gives support to the mental health managers/supervisors (or directly to the psychologists when no manager) in order to improve quality and organization of care, as well as coordination of care amongst the different countries in the region
- He/she assesses the needs and provide trainings to MHPS field teams. When pertinent, suggests training tools for the MHPS staff, always in coordination with MHA.
- She/he writes a report within one week after a field visit. He/she keeps all documents and information concerning the projects and circulates them to headquarters (cell and medical department) and fields (coordination and projects)
- He/she participates to relevant meetings organized by the coordination of the different countries, during the AP and shares his/her experience and knowledge.
- He/she reads and analyses the reports from field teams and gives them feedback.
- She/he produces a monthly situation report and send it to the different coordination, to the cell and to the psy referent
- He/she can suggest to MHA people to contribute to the network of contacts for possibility of training, recruitment, partnership in the region.
- A Diploma in Psychiatry (MD specialized in Psychiatry) or in Clinical Psychology from qualified University program.
- 2 years’ experience in MSF
- Fluent in English and French, speaking and writing. Portuguese will be a very good asset.
- Team spirit, flexibility, strong sense of belonging to the organization.
- Experience in international emergency interventions integrating a MHPS component in conflict situations, violence and /or disasters.
- Eclectic training or interest not restricted to one only theoretical school, in order to be able to have a broader problem solving capacity in mental health.
- Knowledge of and experience in team management
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness and Flexibility
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Initiative and Innovation
- Capacity to Negotiate
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Position based in the Field, and partly in Nairobi Branch Office in between missions.
- Length of Contract – 1 year.
- Travel frequently to the projects (70%).
- Monthly gross salary of 2,248.44€ + Secondary Benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward policy.
- Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF-OCBA guideline.
- Starting date: Immediately
How to apply:
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae and cover motivation letter as a single file by January 15th 2018 under the reference “MH REGIONAL to MSFE-RRHH-NBO@barcelona.msf.org
MSF will contact only short-listed candidates.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognised disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT