Organization: African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Closing date: 26 Jan 2018
We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and outreach in mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a pan-African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
Each AIMS Centre provides an intensive and broad education to over 50 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Subject Matter Specialist (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology), Teacher Training Program (TTP), Rwanda
The Teacher Training Program (TTP) Rwanda is a five-year blended (face-to-face and online) training Program seeking to enhance the capacity of secondary school teachers (in-service and pre-service) in the teaching of mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics with the use of information technologies as a key component in teaching and learning. In partnership with the Government of Rwanda, the Rwanda education board (REB) and the University of Rwanda college of education (UR-CE), the Program will equip teachers with skills, tools and resources to implement the competency based curriculum (CBC) using the Mathematics and Sciences for Sub-Saharan Africa (MS4SSA) approach adopted from the World Bank.
To launch this new initiative, we are in search of four (4) of the best and brightest experts, who are highly accomplished in either one of the four key subject areas, specifically Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or Biology to give credible and sought after guidance to secondary school mathematics and sciences teachers. Led by the Director TTP, and with your passion for higher learning, you will serve as primary contributor in the implementation of training programs that will directly impact the quality of STEM learning.
As a Subject Matter Specialist, you will support development of gender sensitive teaching materials in either mathematics, physics, chemistry or biology, support training of Tier 1 and Tier 2 master trainers in mathematics, physics, chemistry or biology, establish and maintain up-to-date professional records of work, prepare teaching lesson plans according to the scheme of work of the Ministry of Education, carry out regular assessments to establish the extent of learning and arrange remedial classes where necessary and instruct pupils through a combination of teaching methodologies for effective learning.
Additionally, you have the aptitude to contribute to creation of a positive learning environment by organizing the classroom and teaching resources.
This is a part time opportunity (20 hours per week) based in Kigali, Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
· A Master’s degree in education with a major in one of the following subjects: mathematics, physics, chemistry or biology; a PHD degree will be an added advantage
· At least 5 – 10 years of continuous teaching in a secondary school or college required
· A valid accreditation teacher certificate
· Thorough knowledge of the subject of specialization to inspire confidence among peers and learners
· Be able to use practical examples in the teaching of the subject of specialization making sure that appropriate strategies are employed to bring out ideas clearly
· Show strong leadership in and out of classroom, be able to control the proceedings with a purpose to achieve planned objective
· Experience working in an NGO is an added advantage
· Ability to tolerate working hours outside the normal work schedule
· Highly motivated and possess excellent communication, organization and presentation skills
· Possess a good command of English language, knowledge of French is an added advantage
· Comfortable in the use of ICTs for teaching
· Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office with particular strength in the use of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel spreadsheet
· Experience in use of cloud computing including common applications among them Gmail, Skype, Dropbox etc.
How to apply:
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to: email@example.com (i.e. quote “Subject Matter Specialist TTP RWA**” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until January 26, 2018.**
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI