Organization: UN Support Office in Somalia
Closing date: 18 Jan 2018
This position is available until 30 June 2018 and may be subject to extension. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UNSOS/UNSOM Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in the Human Resources Management section of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS). The Human Resources Assistant will be based in Mogadishu and reports to Human Resources Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Recruitment and Placement
• Assists in reviewing draft job openings ensuring that the evaluation criteria and responsibilities are in line with individual job descriptions;
• Assists with the review of applicants to ensure that candidates meet eligibility criteria, including requirements
stated in the job openings;
• Initiates and follows-up on reference checks, in respect of academic verifications and employment records,
ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities;
• Initiates and prepares offer of appointment, including Statement of Emoluments, for review by the Human
• Assists with the scheduling and coordination of assessment of candidates, including written assessments;
competitive recruitment examinations and Competency Based Interviews;
•Prepares recruitment cases for submission to the Mission Review Panel;
• Maintains up to date electronic roster for successful applicants to national category job openings, establishing
contacts with candidates to update rosters;
• Maintains vacancy announcement files and tracks status of vacancy announcements.
•Prepares agenda and provides relevant documentation required for recruitment related meetings.
· Assists in reviewing and processing requests for classification.
· Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
· Provides general office support services; drafts and/or processes a variety of correspondence and other communications.
· Sets up and maintains reference files/records (electronic and paper).
· Schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
· Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
• Maintains automated database containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
• Assists in the preparation of necessary documentation for distribution to various offices, departments and overseas offices.
· Performs a variety of administrative duties (e.g. leave recording, request for office supplies and equipment, etc.).
· May provide guidance/training to less experienced staff.
· Performs other duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge of the human resources policies, procedures and practices and ability to apply them in an organizational setting. Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Very good knowledge of Microsoft office (word, excel, power point, etc.) is required. Course work/training in human resources is highly desirable.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required. Experience in recruitment is desirable. Experience in application of UN Staff Rules and Regulations in operational environment is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Somali is also required.
Method: Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based Interview.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 18 January 2018 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted.
Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail
A copy of P11 to be attached.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT