Closing date: 26 Jan 2018
Join Sphere for this exciting opportunity to mobilise a global network of Sphere practitioners to strengthen principled humanitarian quality and accountability in practice!
As a part of a small team, the Network and Membership Director will be crafting a vibrant network strategy to connect nearly 100,000 subscribers, build member-led initiatives globally, and support a new organizational governance structure.
Established in 1997, Sphere is based on two core beliefs: that all possible steps should be taken to alleviate human suffering arising out of crisis, and that those affected by crisis have a right to life with dignity. The Sphere Handbook was developed to contribute to the professionalization of the humanitarian sector, built on a common foundation of humanitarian principles, quality, and accountability. Increasingly, the Handbook is being used by a diverse range of people and organizations working in humanitarian action who use the Sphere standards to build capacity, design quality programmes, monitor effectiveness, and advocate for improved humanitarian outcomes. It is a common operational language which allows for any actor to actively contribute to better and more effective response globally.
In late 2016, Sphere was created as a non-profit organization, making a transition from a hosted project to an independent entity in 2017. Two major factors drove this decision: to optimize the contribution that Sphere can make in the humanitarian sector by being more responsive and enabling of its users, and to enable a diverse and inclusive range of the current users to have a voice in the governance of the organization.
Sphere is recruiting a dynamic and savvy individual to support and mobilize the current network to develop its membership policies and services. The Sphere network is currently composed of voluntary Focal Points in some 50 countries, more than 100 trainers worldwide, nearly 100,000 practitioner subscribers in at least 149 countries, and its 16 networked board organizations.
Key responsibilities of the Network and Membership Director
· Lead outreach to Sphere’s members and subscribers, including developing a coherent strategy with member and subscriber input, implementing activities and services that provide value to members and promote membership retention and growth.
· Develop strategies and mechanisms to link membership and governance within the statutes of the organization.
· Preserve and promote Sphere’s commitment to its members and all users of humanitarian standards, integrating their perspective and priorities into all aspects of Sphere’s work including its next 5-year strategic plan.
· Plan and manage membership events in coordination with other staff, including special workshops, networking events, Sphere’s General Assembly, and other events which may be identified in the outreach strategy.
· Cultivate new diverse membership based on a compelling package of member services and any associated fees for a variety of potential member organisations.
· Work closely with the Executive Director to plan and carry out additional resource development activities including assisting with activities related to budget management and proposal writing.
What we are looking for
You are a seasoned professional with demonstrated experience in developing management and outreach strategies for non-profit organisations, preferably with global membership reach. Experience with management in the humanitarian sector is a definite advantage, as is previous experience working with an executive board structure.
You genuinely enjoy meeting others and learning about the successes and challenges they experience as members of a global community of practitioners so that you can understand their pain points and work with them for solutions/services. You can be available to travel occasionally, (about 10 percent).
You embrace a spirit of problem-solving, communication, and entrepreneurship to adapt to multiple stakeholders around the world. Your colleagues describe you as an exceptional communicator and advocate, and you would be comfortable representing Sphere at the highest level.
Core requirements are excellent oral and written English skills, with other working languages as an asset. Experience using Sphere in field operations and policy development will be a clear asset, as will hands-on humanitarian field experience in a management or technical role.
The Network and Membership Director reports directly to the Executive Director and supervises one staff member dedicated to Focal Point outreach and support.
How to apply:
This position is recruited initially as a 50-80 percent role, depending on the identified candidate. Start date will be agreed with the preferred candidate, by 1 March latest.
Sphere is registered in Geneva, Switzerland and any candidates working in Switzerland must be in possession of valid working documents.
Please send your CV and letter of motivation to: firstname.lastname@example.org including “Network and Membership Director” in the subject line.
Application deadline: 26 January 2018. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly by Sphere.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT