Organization: Overseas Development Institute
Country: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Closing date: 28 Jan 2018
OVERSEAS DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
Communications Officer – Publications Lead
ALNAP (Active Learning Network for Accountability and Performance in Humanitarian Action)
Contract: 1-year Fixed Term
Salary: £28,015 – £33,419 per annum
The UK’s leading think tank on international development and humanitarian issues.
Founded over 50 years ago, ODI is the UK’s leading international development think tank, influencing and shaping policy on the major global challenges of our time. Our views are informed by innovative research, a global outlook and first-hand knowledge and experience from developing countries and emerging economies.
Active Learning Network for Accountability and Performance in Humanitarian Action (ALNAP) is a system-wide network organisation dedicated to improving the accountability and performance of humanitarian action by strengthening the humanitarian evidence base through sharing lessons, identifying key issues and, where appropriate, providing leadership to find collective approaches and solutions.
ODI is seeking to appoint a talented and dynamic Communications Officer to join ALNAP and contribute to enhancing the impact of ALNAP’s research on humanitarian policy and practice by coordinating and producing its publications and develop ALNAP and ODI’s reputation and image through efficient and effective external and internal communication.
The successful candidates will have:
- Educated to degree level, preferably in the communications field.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to summarise research information in clear, non-specialist language, shaping research for target audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise and communicate with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels of seniority and in particular briefing editors, designers, translators and printers
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to manage and prioritise tasks.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofing skills
- Ability to shape content for different audiences, particularly policy audiences.
- A confident typesetter, with strong experience of DTP (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Publications project management and production experience, planning and managing multiple parallel publications and negotiating with stakeholders.
- Good knowledge of social media, digital platforms and web content best practice
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-starter – ability to generate plans and ideas and carry them through to completion
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and under pressure
- Ability to quickly pick up new software and tools; a willingness to learn new skills
- Strong IT skills, with excellent knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word in particular)
- Knowledge of current trends in publishing, specifically developments to support moves from print to digital publishing
- Ability to use Google analytics for monitoring impact and reach of ALNAP.
Closing date: 28 January 2018
ODI can only sponsor (research/senior) positions requiring a PhD, or where there is a shortage of applications. For this role, it is our anticipation that we will get sufficient applicants from the resident work force and we are obliged to give priority to those who do not need sponsorship when offering a job.
ODI is an equal opportunities employer Charity Reg. No.228248
How to apply:
For more information, please download an application pack from our website at [www.odi.org.uk/jobs](http://www.odi.org.uk/jobs](http://www.odi.org.uk/jobs)**). If you are experiencing difficulties downloading, please telephone 020 3327 7290 or email email@example.com
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI