Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 04 Mar 2018
Position Title : Project Officer (IBM)
Duty Station : Bujumbura, Burundi
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 04 March 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
States have increasingly called upon IOM to assist in addressing complex border management challenges. This Project Officer (IBM) will work on programming aimed at strengthening the administrative structures, operational systems, and human resources necessary to respond effectively and sensitively to migrants entering or exiting Burundi’s borders.
Under the direct supervision of the Emergency Coordinator and overall guidance of the Chief of Mission, the successful candidate will assist in the implementation, coordination and monitoring of programming related to border management.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Implement and monitor IBM activities for Burundi including liaison and information sharing with different governmental entities including respective ministries, as well as UN agencies and the international donor community. Review the technical aspects of projects and propose action to resolve issues.
Monitor the financial and administrative components/aspects of IBM projects in close coordination with relevant mission units and RO/HQ/MAC/PAC units.
Monitor compliance to IOM Standard Operating Procedures, Manuals, Guidelines and Methodologies during the development of project activities and bring non-compliance or other issues to the attention of the supervisor.
Contribute technical inputs for the development of Standard Operating Procedures on Humanitarian Border Management.
Ensure adequate data and information management for IBM activities of the Mission and information sharing on cross border movements.
Draft regular project reports in a timely manner according to IOM and donor formats, in close coordination with mission team.
Liaise with Government of Burundi to improve border infrastructure and to assist in building capacity of border control authorities particularly in relation to the practices of Humanitarian Border Management and Response mechanisms.
Supervise the procurement and installation of border management technical equipment and software and ensure adequate training of Government officials on software utilisation.
Identify potential opportunities and partnerships with other actors at the technical and operational levels. Draft portions of project proposals and corresponding budgets.
Conduct desk research and evaluate local context on IBM issues and prepare background information to support the development of new project proposals.
Participate in relevant conferences, workshops, meetings and technical working groups, as well as other forums to facilitate coordination and exchange of information.
Undertake duty travel related to programme assessment, liaison with counterparts, problem solving and project implementation as required.
Supervise and train IBM support staff.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Development Studies, Political Science, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Studies in the National Border or Police Academy of country of residence may be considered an equivalent diploma with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience related to border management including project development, database management, capacity building, etc.
• Experience living in an emergency context, particularly within French-speaking or East Africa.
• Experience liaising with government officials, donors, UN personnel, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
• Experience in project management including management of budgets and staff.
• Strong writing skills a distinct advantage.
• Excellent computer skills, including with Microsoft functions such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.
Fluency in English and French is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. span>statio
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 March 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 19.02.2018 to 04.03.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/50 (P) – Project Officer (IBM) (P2) – Bujumbura, Burundi (55372659) Released
Posting: Posting NC55372660 (55372660) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT