Organization: Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency
Closing date: 25 Feb 2018
Vacancy Announcement (re-advert)
ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position: Senior Director, Livestock Development
Term of Employment: Fixed
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: Feb 25, 2018
The Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) has been established by the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to identify and address systemic bottlenecks to Ethiopia’s agricultural development. The Agency does this through problem-solving, implementation support, and capacity building of stakeholders involved in implementation of interventions that address the systemic bottlenecks. The Agency reports to the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources Development and is Secretary to the Transformation Council chaired by the Prime Minister.
The programmatic *focus of the Agency responds to a core set of needs identified by the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources Development and the Transformation Council. Within the Agency, issues are divided into four different pillars: Crops & Natural Resources which includes Inputs and Plant Protection, Livestock, Soil Health & Fertility, Irrigation and Drainage, and Mechanization; Cross Cutting Initiatives, which includes Inclusive Growth, Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation, and Planning and MLE; Livestock, which includes Animal Health and Genetic Improvement and Feed & Feeding; and Agribusiness and Markets, which includes Market Development, Rural Finance, ICT, and Private Sector. In addition, the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters Initiative is another critical focus area for the Agency. Across the programs, the ATA engages public, private and non-governmental stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity and test innovative models**.*
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Senior Director of Livestock Development is a senior executive level management position within the ATA administration with the Senior Director serving on the senior management team of the Agency. His/her role will primarily involve managing and supporting Program Directors within the Livestock Development areas of the Transformation Agenda which include Livestock Genetic Improvement, Livestock Feed and Feeding, Livestock Health and Livestock Markets.
The Senior Director will also work closely with other senior directorial staff within the ATA, in order to leverage and maximize on synergies across different program types. To this end, s/he will support and guide implementation plans and strategies along priority Agricultural Commercialization Clusters to enhance production and productivity as well as market access of key livestock commodities. To this effect, he/she must possess and be able to demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills and relationship building abilities.
- Supervise and performance manage the Program Directors of the Livestock Development Vertical within the ATA which includes Livestock Genetic Improvement, Livestock Feed and Feeding, Livestock Health and Livestock Markets.
- Provide direction, guidance and support to the Program Directors of the above programs in order to ensure that high quality deliverables and outputs are created within each program, in line with the ATA’s overall goals
- Actively participate in diagnostic activities, solution design and development of policies, strategies and solutions developed by the Knowledge Centers in the Livestock Development Vertical
- Support the Delivery Unit mechanism within the ATA and partner organizations to facilitate close and collaborative relationships with key stakeholders/partners across problem solving and implementation support areas of the Transformation Agenda
- Ensure that the ATA’s Livestock Development Vertical programs provide sufficient support in the execution of the Agricultural Commercialization Cluster (ACC) Initiative
- Support, enable and facilitate close and collaborative relationships between Program Directors and key stakeholders/partners across problem solving and implementation support areas
- Critically assess capacity gaps that may hinder effective implementation of activities and develop solutions as required.
- Coordinate and harmonize the design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects within the ATA’s Livestock Development Vertical
- Assist in building capacity of key government, private and informal actors in the education, research, extension and production continuum associated with the sub sector.
- Support the organization in other operations or roles as required by the CEO
- Member of the Senior Management Team, which is responsible for organizational strategy within the ATA.
- Direct supervisor of Program Directors and Project teams within the ATA’s Livestock Development Vertical, spearheading solution development, implementation support to partners, implementation support of relevant internally managed projects, reporting and documentation of programs and projects.
- Facilitator of the required financial, human and organizational resources for the successful implementation of programs and projects.
- Supporter to the CEO in the creation and delivery of strategies and programs to enhance the ATA, and where appropriate obtain external expertise and counsel
- Provide guidance to and manage output of the staff within the Livestock Development Vertical and contribute to performance reviews and planning for their continued professional development
- MSc/PhD in Animal Science, Veterinary Science, Agriculture, Rural Development, Development or other relevant subject.
- Minimum of 12 years’ (for Master’s) or 10 years (for PhD) of relevant experience in Livestock related role within government, an international agency and/or the private sector, of which at least 6 years worked in a senior, management or leadership role.
- An understanding of livestock sector dynamics, with a preference for Ethiopian livestock sector knowledge (e.g. background in working with farmers, research institutions, regional agencies, and other partners)
- Deep understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural system, with a good perspective on how the system operates and how public, private and informal actors interact within the system
- Practical experience in implementing solutions at a local level
- Experience in developing and building relationships between the public and private sector
- Demonstrable track record of success with program design, performance management, learning systems and monitoring & evaluation
- Strong team player with outstanding management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and in a constantly evolving and challenging environment
- Self-starter and self-motivated person
- Fluency in Amharic and English is essential. Fluency in at least one additional Ethiopian language is a plus **
How to apply:
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages), and (iii) a completed ATA Application Form at http://apply.ata.gov.et.
Please note that CVs, cover letter and other application materials WILL NOT be considered unless accompanied by a fully completed ATA Application Form. Also, please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application form.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
NB. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV