This position is part of Southern Timberlands and will report to the Area Manager. This is a full-time, exempt position located in Columbus, MS.
Position is responsible for general forestry requirements such as early and mid-rotation functions, contract administration and/or other functions as required. Primary responsibilities will be early and mid-rotation functions.
Responsible for general forestry operations, safety awareness and intervention, safety role model, forest land management techniques and practices. Responsibilities include prescribing silviculture treatments, insuring activities are completed in accordance with state Best Management Practices (BMPs), planning and managing to completion various activities such as surveying, cruising, pest management, competition control, fertilization, site preparation, asset protection, road maintenance and tree planting. Other responsibilities will include photo interpretation, budgeting, financial analysis and public relations. Knowledge of or willingness to learn Weyerhaeuser forestry practices such as: inventory systems, prescriptions, contract administration, Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI), negotiation skills, knowledge of equipment capabilities, knowledge of soil characteristics, knowledge of tree physiology, tree and plant identification. Knowledge of drainage calculations, knowledge of chemicals and fertilizers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry or related field and at least 2 years’ experience, OR equivalent combination of work experience and education
- Basic forestry skills
- Knowledge of state, federal, safety, wildlife, water and forest practice rules/statutes
- Willingness to abide by established safety standards
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written
- Experience in project management and contract administration.
- Problem solving skills
- Capability to prioritize work activities and assignments
- Willingness and skills to support the work needs of the team outside your area of assigned responsibility
- Good teaming skills, including the ability and willingness to work in a diverse team environment
- Basic math skills
- Computer skills – Microsoft Office software and others
We believe trees are a remarkable resource that can and should be managed responsibly to make a range of products that meet human needs, while also providing recreation, wildlife habitat, and other important ecosystem benefits.
For more than a century, we’ve been taking care of forests to make life better.
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Read more here:: GFIS