Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 15 Apr 2018
Participate in the delivery, planning and supervision of psychiatric and psychological services in the programme in accordance with MSF standards in order to provide the most appropriate mental health support for patients.
- Deliver individual psychiatric and counseling care to patients according to MSF protocols to improve mental health conditions of patients and enhance their functionality. This involves clinical assessment, creation of a management plan, and delivery of treatment to patients under the care of the project: up to 50% of workload
- Supports the Manager with training and supervision of local primary care doctors and nurses to deliver psychiatric care, and where needed. This may also involve training and supervision of local counselors and psychologists with the support of the Activity Manager: more than 40% of workload
- Participate in the planning, organization and coordination activities, in close collaboration with the Mental Health activity manager and other medical team members: 10% of workload
- Report to the Mental Health Activity Manager (line manager)
- When required by the Project Coordinator and Activity Manager, may be asked to liaise with the local counterparts (like MoH, WHO, ICRC and NGO) on mental health matters, including referral services
- Support the Activity Manager and HR team in, the recruitment, induction, evaluation, potential detection and development of the staff under his/her responsibility
- Train other team members through direct clinical coaching, including though use of specific tools such as WHO’s mental health GAP Intervention Guide, and Problem Management Plus and/or other relevant MSF field tools. Prior experience using such tools is benefical though not necessary
- Support the Activity manager with compilation and analysis of data and statistics linked with MH activities and report to the MH activity manager
Required soft skills :
- Results oriented
Qayyarah context :
This project is based within an alongide MSF’s medical and surgical hospital – the main point of health care for the local population.
Qayyarah is a town on the southern banks of the Tigris river, about 60km south of the city of Mosul. It has experienced significant disruption over the last two decades, and particularly since 2014 when under the control of the IS organisation. Located close to Qayyarah are a number of poorly resourced camps for people displaced by the conflict
The project is currently extending activities in Qayyarah and the surrounding area, including camps, in a context that can change rapidly in terms of population movement and security
The needs for mental health care in this region and more broadly in Iraq are huge. MSF is one of the only actors providing specific psychological care in the whole region and the implementation of MH activities is just starting.
Common presentations to the mental health clinic include serious mental illnesses including psychotic disorders, severe mood disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, as well as common disorders including anxiety, depression and adjustment. Other important populations cared for in the program include children, people with dual diagnoses including developmental and neurological conditions, and people facing torture and sexual and gender-based violence.
Professional skills required :
Degree in Psychiatry (essential)
Experience in psychiatry of at least 2 years
Language : English (essential); Arabic (highly desirable)
How to apply:
Please apply online with your resume and a cover letter :
Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT