Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 12 Apr 2018
Since 2006, MSF OCP has been running a comprehensive reconstructive surgery program for victims of conflicts from neighboring countries in Amman, Jordan. The hospital is located in East Amman, Jordan. On monthly average, the hospital admits 50 new patients and performs 120 surgeries. These activities include transfer of patients from their country of origin, surgery (plastic, orthopedics, and maxillo-facial), physiotherapy, psycho-social care and food & accommodation.
The extent of the different databases has reached an important threshold in terms of its size and mainly its wealth of information, specifically, 10 years of data in reconstructive surgery for war wounds, 10,000 surgeries and more than 4,000 patients admitted so far, typology of surgeries, origin and type of injuries, demography or our patients, complications, treatments, AMR, etc.
This position will lead hospital-wide data collection and utilization efforts for a new Hospital Information System/Electronic Medical Record, using electronic and paper-based information systems to monitor and strengthen clinical services, laboratory, pharmacy, radiology and supply chain management including quality of care.
Hierarchically, the Health Informatics Manager (HIM) reports directly to the Hospital Director with technical support from both the Clinical and Nursing Directors in Amman and OCP eHealth Unit in New York.
Within the organization, the HIM is considered transversal and must function independently to be able to train, inform, and to recommend and enact policies and procedures in terms of proper data collection and utilization techniques to the hospital team. The HIM has a global overview of hospital functions and is responsible for full knowledge and documentation of the data flow in the hospital and works in conjunction with each department to maintain the quality of the data and outputs. S/he crosschecks procedures (new and current) and their impact on the data flow.
The HIM guarantees reliability and transparency of the data. It is not only about checking the consistency and availability of the data, but also of looking at all the processes that integrate the use of data: collection, delivery, analysis, reporting, etc. This function leads the HIM to dialogue constantly with the operational, financial and other management departments.
In some respects, the HIM position is also seen as a guarantor of the quality of the data and the correct application of procedures, good document management, and is a step towards a more quality centered approach.
Main objectives :
Consults and assists with process evaluations and workflow redesign efforts to identify requirements for data collection, reporting, and use
Works closely with MSF Hospital leadership to design, implement and optimize new features for medical data, lab, and supply chain, in support of improved health care delivery
Provides technical support and develops documentation for routine data collection and entry, data quality assurance, and report generation and interpretation
Uses database queries and available reporting frameworks to ensure that outputs from medical databases can be used effectively for improving clinical care as well as monitoring, evaluation, research, and quality improvement of core activities
Manages production of weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports and performs additional statistical analyses and interpretation as requested
Establishes appropriate data security provisions and protocols to enable access to and maintenance of patient medical and administrative information
Facilitates ongoing training support and the development of user training materials and support structure for the use of the system
Supervises administratively and technically the Health Information System Officer
Required soft skills
- Strong communication skills (via Email/Phone/Skype…)
- Analytical skills and detail oriented
- Ability to define concepts and model processesQuality of analysis and synthesis
- Sense of Responsibility
- Organized, self-discipline
- Takes initiative, anticipation quality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter able to initiate and follow through programs with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting with good ability to cooperate
- Experience with cross-cultural, cross-national health care a plus
- Good written, time management and presentation skills
- Flexibility to meet a wide range of service needs
- A genuine desire to learn new skill sets
Position conditions :
- Position to be filled ASAP
- Fixed term contract (minimum 6 months)
- Salary status according to the MSF salary grid and your previous experience in international NGOs if any
- Monthly Perdiem
- Insurances: medical health coverage, repatriation
- Paid holiday: 25 days per year
Professional skills :
- Master’s degree in information systems, public health, medical statistics, or other relevant field
- 4+ years of experience in high level data management or medical informatics.
- Experience in managing medical data (public health data, electronic medical records, or similar) in medical database / data warehouses
- Experience in conducting monitoring and evaluation of large databases, including ability to write SQL queries
- Skilled in the use of statistical software such as STATA, R, or SAS
How to apply:
Please apply online with your resume and a Cover letter :
Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT