Organization: World Food Programme
Country: Syrian Arab Republic
Closing date: 09 Apr 2018
Re-advertisement of VA079-2017
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
From 26 March 2018 TO 09 April 2018
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION
Type: Fixed term contract
Duration: One year
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. WFP pursues a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life. The Office of the United Nations World Food Programme in Syria is currently seeking a qualified candidate for Nutritionist FT NOB in Damascus.
The NOB Nutritionist will be based in WFP Country Office, Damascus and will be reporting to and under the overall guidance of Head of Nutrition.
To provide support to nutrition programmes and activities to contribute to meeting the nutritional needs of WFP beneficiaries.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the development of nutrition projects and activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider nutrition policies and guidance.
- Provide project management support to specific and defined nutrition projects and activities, ensuring a co-ordinated approach with wider programmes/projects that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Develop and co-ordinate data gathering and monitoring/assessment systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Track and analyse data to provide input into reporting activities and contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on nutrition activities that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with implementing partners (internal and external) to monitor ongoing projects, ensuring effective collaboration, timeliness and efficiency, and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Support the identification of potential partners and partnership negotiations to ensure a collaborative and holistic approach to meeting nutrition needs.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to nutrition needs for example the production and review of training materials.
- Guide more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
In absence of Head of the Section will assume OIC responsibility.
Participate and represent WFP in sector working group meetings/consultations;
Other as required.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Dedicated focus on the development of a fortification activity for the CO and coordinating the process with MoH and relevant UN agencies and partners.
- Field travel to areas with emergencies context as required including those involving access challenges.
- Assist the CO Nutrition team in the management of approved nutrition project/s under PRRO 2017-18 and other nutrition activities relating to Emergency responses, ensuring a well-coordinated approach with SO Nutrition focal points.
- Assist in the development of reporting tools and Monitoring checklists and facilitate the accomplishment of tasks under ODOC and Annual Performance plans, including planned trainings, studies, reviews and procurements.
- Facilitating the Nutrition training of partners and WFP staff as appropriate.
- Prepare periodic reports on the progress of activities; Ensure compliance with WFP policies, criteria and procedures within budget deadlines.
Capability NameDescription of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level**Knowledge of Nutrients**Utilizes knowledge of vitamins and nutrients to understand the causes of malnutrition, the relationships between the different types of malnutrition, and is able to articulate the UNICEF conceptual model.**Situation Analysis and Evidence Assessment**Able to appropriately interpret the nutrition situation, analyze primary causes of malnutrition, define limitations to the analysis (e.g. seasonality) and prepare an overview of the food security and nutrition situation in country.**Knowledge of Public Health**Has foundational knowledge of the core public health sciences (i.e., biostatistics, epidemiology, social science, environmental health, and prevention of chronic and infectious disease and injury) in order to assess a country’s/region’s health situation.**Knowledge of Food System**Ability to analyze how food systems influence the diets of vulnerable groups and identify how and where food systems may contribute to specific nutrient gaps.**Applying Programme & Policy Standards**Leverages nutrition knowledge to provide technical advice to governments to design and implement country nutrition programmes that follow international and WFP agency standards and guidance.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Public Health Nutrition, Nutrition, Food Technology, Medicine or other relevant field.
Experience: Minimum of 3 years of relevant post-graduate (i.e. after obtaining the first University degree) progressive experience in nutrition or health related field. Experience in coordination role, and working with national institutions (ministries, academic institutes, etc …) is an advantage
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Arabic language.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Desirable to have specific Nutrition projects implementation experience, with at least 3 years of post-graduate progressive experience
- Preferable to have experience of emergencies context for ensuring safe delivery of nutrition services to the beneficiaries
- Desirable to have experience of working/coordinating with government Ministries relevant to Health and Nutrition.
- Awareness of local context, culture and contextual knowledge of factors influencing programme acceptance is highly desirable.
- Experience in nutrition surveys/ assessments or related research is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted.
- Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once applying.
- Only Syrian and Syrian/Palestenian nationals can apply for this vacancy
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT