Organization: American University of Afghanistan
Closing date: 10 May 2018
Reports To: VP of Development
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2005 and currently offer four undergraduate academic majors and an MBA program. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy and applicants from all ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young and growing dynamic university with a student population of nearly 1,200. We have expanded operations to the 75-acre international campus across the road from our original campus. Construction is ongoing for additional classroom and lab buildings to help meet the growing needs of our student population.
The mandate of the Development Department is to mobilize external resources for the University. Those resources come in the form of restricted and unrestricted funds. Within the Development Department, the offices of Advancement and Sponsored Programs are responsible for the entire cycle of those funds – from the time a proposal is put together to when the final report is submitted to the grantor. Different stakeholders within the University, including Centers of Excellence and faculty, play a role in both the development of proposals and the implementation of externally funded projects. Grant Writer and Business Development Specialist is an essential part of the development ecosystem at AUAF. The person will provide support to every unit that is involved in seeking and managing externally funded projects. In particular, this individual will help different entities within the university to generate creative ideas and turn them into compelling proposals; most importantly, the person will function as the department’s “final-eye” for all the outgoing documents.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist all relevant stakeholders within the University in developing proposals and supporting documents in response to requests for proposals (RFPs)
- Seek grant partnerships with public and private entities both locally and internationally
- Work closely with the Offices of Sponsored Programs and the Advancement to offer them the full suite of grant-writing services including research, development, budgeting and writing of competitive proposals
- Develop innovative and compelling concept-notes for potential donors
- Write and submit Expressions of Interest and conduct follow-up work with the prospective grant-makers
- Identify funding opportunities and new program areas in conjunction with the leadership of the Development Department
- Work closely with other members of the pre and post-award team in the development department to coordinate grant related tasks and activities
- Work closely with the senior management to generate ideas and write up strategies that serve the University’s overall mandate and that are also aligned with potential grantors’ interests
- Offer follow-up reporting on all grants to donors and work with the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) expert to collect project evaluation data
- Bachelor degree in a related field – Master’s Degree is preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in a similar position
- Ability to synthesize complex data and information into coherent and convincing proposals
- Capacity to generate solutions and translate concepts into compelling narratives
- Keen attention to detail, thoroughness and accuracy
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and resourcefulness to plan and organize across departments
- Knowledge of budgets, log frames, staffing and other technical matters relevant to grant writing
- Track record of collaboratively working across departments
- Experience working with all major grant makers and familiarity with their expectations and attitudes
How to apply:
Applicants must submit their resume and cover letter in one document as PDF or MS Word to firstname.lastname@example.org Applications are accepted in English only. Please include “**Grant Writer and Business Development Specialist”** in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: All applications must be submitted on or before May 10, 2018. After reviews of the applicants, interviews for the finalists will be set up in Kabul on the AUAF Campus or by Skype.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI