Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 08 May 2018
Position Title : Site Planner/Architect
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 May 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Congo, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Site Development is an operational unit of the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) Programme in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. The unit is integral to the Rohingya Refugee Response implemented by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) with funding from various international donors. Site Development Unit activities include site planning, medium-complexity infrastructure projects, primarily roads, bridges and health facilities and various types of site rehabilitation works, including drainage, pedestrian access, earth stabilisation and installation of solar street lighting throughout the camps and ‘out of camp’ sites in Cox’s Bazar District, Bangladesh.
Under the overall supervision of the CCCM Programme Manager and direct supervision of the Site Development Coordinator, the successful candidate will assist with the implementation of the programme, including but not limited to preliminary design and coordination support for site planning, site development, site management and community building projects.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Carry out site planning activities for camps and camp-like settlements, including coordination with sectors (Shelter / WASH / Health), local authorities and implementing partners, sketch design, documentation (AutoCAD), presentation (3D rendering) / graphic communication and monitoring implementation.
Monitor site plans and sites under development to verify if basic technical criteria of land availability / property, accessibility, safety, security, absorption capacity and acceptable humanitarian standards are taken into consideration. Bring issues and short falls to the attention of the supervisor.
Facilitate the integration of protection issues, such as prevention of GBV and the specific needs of women, men, girls and boys, in site plans and designs.
Contribute to long-term settlement services and infrastructure development that covers multiple camps and assist the Site Development Coordinator to facilitate multi-agency and multi-sectoral cooperation to implement macro-level interventions and hazard mitigation, including the production of a Macro Settlement Development Plan.
Prepare camp plans including shelter plots, services provision, primary and secondary roads, WASH infrastructure, safe havens and no build zones.
Develop and maintain maps and visual aids for reporting on site management / site development activities at camp level and macro level and assist the Site Development Coordinator to facilitate technical working group meetings, including the production of Information Education Communication (IEC) materials, staging diagrams for decongestion / relocation, and advocacy for major earthworks and infrastructure projects to improve drainage, access, useable area.
Prepare feasibility studies for the identification of adequate new sites and assess existing and potential sites to determine the viability of sites, absorption capacity, options for services provision; identify and illustrate hazards, and document works needed to improve drainage, access, mitigate hazards or any other improvement required to make the sites viable for wet season.
Conduct regular site visits to facilitate in-depth understanding of the characteristics of the sites in Ukhia and Teknaf.
Provide necessary information and technical documentation for the preparation of project proposals for IOM to contact potential donors and/or government agencies. Contribute to operational planning for emergency preparedness and response and hazard mitigation / disaster risk reduction initiatives.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Architecture, Urban Planning, Civil Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
• Effectively coordinates with other team members on assigned projects;
• Fluency in spoken and written English is required;
• AutoCAD proficiency is required;
• GIS software proficiency is required;
• Sound knowledge of site planning in humanitarian context;
• Experience with International Organizations and/or NGOs an advantage;
• Experience in camp rehabilitation and site development an advantage;
• Experience working within the region an advantage;
• Experience in site planning is required as per ToR;
• Experience in computer aided drawing is required;
• Experience in geographic information systems is required.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Bangla is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 May 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 25.04.2018 to 08.05.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/108 (P) – Site Planner/Architect (P2) – Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh (55454675) Released
Posting: Posting NC55454689 (55454689) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT