Organization: International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas
Closing date: 30 Apr 2018
Main purpose of position
Reporting to the Director General, and in close collaboration with ICARDA’s research and outreach managers, the Director, Resource Mobilization, Partnership and Outreach, guided by ICARDA’s 2017 – 2026 strategy, will further develop and lead the execution of strategies to enhance the impact of the ICARDA’s research through effective resource mobilization, strategic partnerships, and communications to enhance the international profile of ICARDA. The Director will supervise and manage ICARDA’s Outreach Offices, Project Development and Grants Management Unit, and Communications Unit. He or she will support the Director General in cultivating, building and nurturing donors’ partners as well as Institutional strategic partnerships and alliances that are essential for advancing and successfully achieving the mission of ICARDA. As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director, Resource Mobilization, Partnership and Outreach will contribute to the overall effective management of ICARDA.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
The Director – Resource Mobilization, Partnership and Outreach will have the following responsibilities:
· Further develop, implement, and monitor resource mobilization strategies to grow ICARDA’s research-for-development operation and partnerships;
· Identify, engage and secure support from a range of donors’ partners, including governments, international and national agencies, multilateral institutions, non-governmental organizations, foundations and the private sector;
· Support the Director General in cultivating, building and nurturing donors’ partners as well as institutional strategic partnerships and alliances that are essential for advancing the mission of ICARDA;
· Establish resource mobilization targets and report regularly to the BOT and Director General on progress;
· Keep ICARDA’s relevant staff informed about key trends on global research for development issues and donors’ environment by generating and analyzing related data and information, and sharing it within the organization;
· Explore and pilot the development of a Service Delivery Unit.
Communication and advocacy
Through the direct supervision of the Communications Unit,
· Oversee the positioning of ICARDA in the agricultural research for development arena through strong branding and effective communication of its scientific achievements to increase its visibility in support of its mandate and resource mobilization strategy;
· Raise awareness of the impact and tangible benefits generated through past, present and future investments in ICARDA’s research;
· Identify and ensure that ICARDA is effectively engaged in significant and relevant global initiatives and fora through effective planning and representation.
Out-scaling of research
Through the direct supervision of Outreach Offices,
· Ensure ICARDA’s effective partnership with NARS, particularly with countries hosting ICARDA’s operation and collaborative projects;
· Identify opportunities for and, in close collaboration with the Deputy Director General-Research, lead the development of partnerships for the out-scaling of ICARDA’s research that will deliver significant development impact;
· Further develop and oversee ICARDA’s outreach activities;
· Supporting regional and country teams with national partnerships’ development and donors’ cultivation;
· Monitor and periodically assess and report on the value and effectiveness of ICARDA’s partnerships.
Proposal development and grants management
Through the direct supervision of Project Development and Grants Management Unit,
· Provide oversight, coordination, technical support, and quality assurance of the proposal development and submission process;
· Ensure efficient and effective management of grants;
· Ensure timely and quality technical and financial reporting to donors on the progress of their grants managed by ICARDA;
· Explore opportunities for expanding ICARDA’s sources of funding through increased access to calls for proposals, non-traditional donors and new partnerships.
· Lead, motivate and effectively manage a multicultural and multidisciplinary team of staff;
· Nurture a culture of teamwork, empowerment, collaboration, and performance for results;
· Effectively manage the financial resources allocated to the department;
· Work closely with the Director of Finance to support multi-year financial planning and annual budgeting process;
· As a member of the Senior Management Team, contribute to the overall effective management of ICARDA.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications and competencies
· Advanced university degree in a scientific discipline relevant to ICARDA, e.g.
· Agricultural development, rural development, agricultural economics;
· At least 12 years’ progressively responsible experience in the area of agricultural research and development, including experience in an international not-for-profit environment;
· Extensive experience and a track record of effectively leading resource mobilization programmes;
· Experience in leading multicultural and multidisciplinary teams;
· Experience in managing and in-depth understand of critical aspects of successful projects development;
· Extensive experience in developing strategic partnerships in the private or public sector and with National Agricultural Research entities;
· Experience in and understanding of the challenges for agriculture in the Dry Areas, and knowledge of the regions in which ICARDA operates;
· In-depth understanding of global agricultural research and development issues and of how research products can be deployed to achieve development impact that address global issues such as food and nutrition insecurity, climate change, environmental degradation;
· Ability to work collaboratively with a range of internal and external stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment;
· Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills to work effectively in a multicultural setting;
· Excellent communication skills in English, both verbal and written, with the ability to make clear and highly-articulate presentations to a variety of high-level stakeholders, and to pro-actively engage with and influencing audiences across a range of channels.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
· A PhD in a scientific discipline relevant to ICARDA’s mandate;
· Knowledge of Arabic and/or French.
· Strategic thinker and entrepreneurial spirit;
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
· Commitment to ICARDA mission;
· Strong work ethics and integrity.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The successful candidate will be offered an initial contract of 3 years, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The first year will be probationary period.
How to apply:
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by April 30, 2018
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from qualified women.Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI