Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 08 May 2018
Position Title : Project Manager
Duty Station : Accra, Ghana
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 May 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Congo, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Since 2012, IOM has successfully implemented an Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) programme in West Africa, the “Global Assistance to Irregular Migrants (GAIM)” project, under which 618 Sri Lankan nationals, who were stranded in dire circumstances in various countries in the region, returned.
The key focus of the programme is on humanitarian support and direct assistance for return and reintegration, to eligible stranded migrants in West Africa.
Under the direct supervision of the IOM Ghana Chief of Mission (CoM) and relevant units in Headquarters (HQs) and the Regional Office in Dakar, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the implementation of the GAIM project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Manage the overall implementation of the project Global Assistance to Irregular Migrants (GAIM) in a timely manner, and monitor and follow up on administrative and technical aspects in line with IOM policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
Ensure effective implementation of the project by monitoring and coordinating the work of IOM missions in West Africa and Sri Lanka in the areas of humanitarian assistance, AVRR, and safe migration.
Supervise and coordinate the provision of screening, referrals, registration, emergency assistance, and return, arrival and reintegration assistance to the project beneficiaries through monitoring the AVRR activities implemented by relevant missions in West Africa and Sri Lanka.
Supervise adjustments to community response mapping with a view to increase its capacity to receive and manage direct requests for AVRR assistance. Draft standard operating procedures for assistance and referrals.
Supervise project staff. Monitor project progress to document and evaluate results, increase effectiveness and recommend appropriate action.
Maintain liaison with government entities, embassies, UN agencies, refugee boards, and other stakeholders in project target countries.
Produce informational materials and facilitate communication and visibility for all GAIM components.
Participate in relevant seminars, meetings, and other events to provide information and guidance on GAIM activities and disseminate results.
Maintain an updated record of cases and files for the project and ensure data confidentiality. Coordinate knowledge management within the project for the purpose of monitoring and evaluation, team and organizational learning, reporting, and innovation.
Draft donor and other reports and ensure proper information exchange on all operational aspects of the project between IOM, donors, and other stakeholders. Prepare and collate general and specific information on programme activities as requested by donors/external parties, IOM Missions, HQs and other internal counterparts; coordinate internal evaluation(s).
Undertake site visits and duty travel as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Development, Political or Social Sciences, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management in the field of migration, AVRR, border management and/or migrants’ rights;
• Experience in liaising with government authorities, other national/international institutions;
• Operational and field experience in migration management in the West Africa region is of particular interest, including project development and advocacy; return and reintegration, and/or strong background in institutional and capacity-building;
• Understanding of the complex social-political environment of the West Africa region;
• Excellent knowledge of migration management principles, concepts and techniques.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 May 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 25.04.2018 to 08.05.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/109 (P) – Project Manager (P2) – Accra, Ghana (55454742) Released
Posting: Posting NC55454747 (55454747) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT