Closing date: 11 May 2018
Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
The Information and Communications Technology Division of DFS has implemented a range of civilian and military field technologies to address the requirements of peacekeeping operations that have been identified as strategic enablers to make peacekeeping more effective and efficient. Partnerships and bi-lateral sponsorship’s with member states and other entities are being developed to facilitate the introduction of innovation and modern technologies to support mandate implementation in UN Field Missions.
The incumbent for this post will be based in United Nations Global Service Centre – Field Technolofy Service in Valencia and will report directly to the UNOPS/DFS/ICTD Senior Programme Manager. The incumbent will work closely on all Projects and Operations matter with Technical Managers and Team Leads based in New York, Valencia, Brindisi and Entebbe.
The incumbent will:
- Assess, plan and manage the delivery of a comprehensive set of services and activities, in line with the project scope, approach and implementation modalities;
- Assess, and manage the resources allocated to the project activities, in full compliance with UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Facilitate the efficient and effective management of assigned project (s);
- Provide technical guidance and coordinating support on project components and activities;
- Maintain ongoing understanding of projects and identify partners and stakeholders for project implementation;
- Identify and monitor risks to project implementation and coordinate initiatives to mitigate and manage them;
- Ensure regular monitoring of project implementation and preparation of progress reports;
- Coordinate with technical teams for project field visits and missions, including identifying major meetings and preparation of briefing documentation;
- Ensure strategic direction of operations;
- Ensure compliance in all activities, including partnerships, to UN rules and regulations;
- Coordinate the distribution of responsibilities amongst team members and organize monitoring and tracking systems;
- Ensure strategic human resources management and supervision of the HR;
- Financial resources management and accountable for expenditures against the budget;
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Select, recruit and train team as required by project plans;
- Institutionalise and share best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
- Efficient procurement and logistical services;
- Prepare and update the procurement plan, and chronogram of the activities;
- Establishment and maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems;
- Definition of training plans for personnel involved in the delivery of support services;
- Liaise with support portfolio team and various UNOPS corporate teams;
- Keep abreast of and incorporate latest/best practices, approaches and technology to enhance the programme and project delivery and results;
- Any other duties.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of the project operations and management
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Advanced University Degree in Project Management, Economics, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline is required.
- Two (2) Additional years of relevant experience in combination with a relevant Bachelor’s degree, may substitute for the requirement for a Master’s Advanced University Degree.
PRINCE2 Foundation Certification is required.**Experience:**
Five years of progressive experience in project development and management is required.
Experience in Finance and one of the reporting tools such as Tableu, Power BI is required.
HR and Procurement experiences are desirable.**Language Requirements:**
Fluency in written and oral English and the language of the duty station (Spanish) is required.
Knowledge of other UN working language desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type:Fixed Term
Contract duration: 1 Year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link*:* https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management**.**
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information – Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
How to apply:
To learn more about this opportunity, please visit: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=15484
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT