Organization: European Commission’s Directorate-General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations
Closing date: 30 Apr 2018
Directorate General for European civil protection and humanitarian aid operations (DG ECHO) is an equal opportunities employer. It funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts.
For humanitarian aid, European Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nation agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Aid is channeled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
The ECHO antenna in Tunis (under the responsibility of ECHO office for North Africa based in Algiers) is seeking to recruit one Programme Officer under local employment contract of 1 year renewable.
· A relevant second level university degree (Master degree minimum) in political sciences or social sciences or equivalent professional experience.
· Specific studies in the field of humanitarian, health, protection and human rights, food security will be considered an asset
Knowledge and Experience:
· Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at national or international level in managing programme/project operations., including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO’s, donor or national/international organisation;
· Very good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system;
· Very good knowledge of International NGOs, UN Aid agencies and Red Cross Movement;
· Very good understanding of Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and Standards;
· Professional experience in contexts of insecurity and demonstrated ability to manage personal security. Experience in any of the following areas: Health, Protection or Food Security
· In-depth knowledge of the Libyan context and related humanitarian issues.
· Expertise in the area of social protection and social safety net implementation will be considered an asset;
· Excellent analytical, synthesis, writing and speaking skills
· Excellent drafting skills,
· Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
· An excellent knowledge of English (verbal & writing).
· Perfect mastery of Arabic (spoken and written)
· Knowledge of French (spoken) would be an asset
· Availability for high mobility (around 50% of working time in field missions in complex security conditions);
· Availability to carry out regular missions in neighboring countries (Libya, Algeria) as well as for emergency response;
How to apply:
Detailed Terms of Reference are available on the EU Delegation’s website as follow :
Applications must include a cover letter and a CV using the template accessible via the above mentioned website.
Applicants must provide a copy of academic and employment certificates with their application or at the latest before the writing tests for those selected. Applications must be electronically emailed only using the following address ECHOemail@example.com, until 30th of April 2018 included. Job offer reference must be clearly mentioned in the title of the email as follow : Ref. Programme Officer TUN – 2018-04).
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for a written test or for an interview.
Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as a disqualification.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV