Organization: US Institute of Peace
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 19 May 2018
The United States Institute of Peace is a non-partisan federal institute chartered Congress to prevent and resolve violent conflict. We work with partners in the world’s most challenging areas to provide resources, training and tools. Located on the National Mall, USIP represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace around the world. Together we tackle the toughest problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front row seat to the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The North Africa Senior Program Officer (SPO) serves as a leading expert on North Africa for the Institute and provides overall support to all USIP North Africa (NA) programs including but not limited to Libya, Tunisia and Egypt. Responsibilities include providing development and planning, financial management, public outreach, and monitoring and evaluation as described in the following sections. The incumbent will also perform other duties as assigned. This position will be based in Washington D.C. and reports to the Middle East and North Africa Programs Director (currently based in Tunis).
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Builds strategic partnerships and cultivates contacts with subject matter experts and a wide variety of external organizations including US Government agencies, local embassies and think tanks to leverage resources and combine efforts to promote USIP program initiatives and goals.
- Organizes and leads public and private workshops, roundtables, and meetings related to North Africa at the USIP headquarters in coordination with all parts of the Institute.
- Attends and participates in various conferences, events, and other programs to speak on behalf of USIP on a specific subject matter area of expertise.
- Takes lead role in responding to the public or media regarding specific program area.
- Provides regular briefings to governmental or other organizations on key subject matter area.
Development and Planning:
- Contributes to the development, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of the strategy of USIP’s North Africa program.
- In collaboration with the North Africa Programs Manager, leads or assists – as directed – the development, coordination, and planning of programs and projects (e.g. program/project design; developing plans, goals, objectives, and approaches; obtaining appropriate resources required to support goals and objectives, etc.).
- Builds and manages a support network in the US for all programs and projects relating to North Africa (e.g., leads a team of staff supporting the programs; is responsible for meeting project goals and objectives; develops and presents on the status project goals and objectives, etc.).
- Leads the process of developing and/or develops project concept notes, proposals, annual plans, reports, and briefings to internal and external audiences.
- Serves as the senior expert on all USIP North Africa Programs (e.g., conducts research; presents at conferences and workshops; provides analysis and counsel to other public and private organizations, including the media; develops publications, training courses, workshops, training and educational programs and materials; conducts training courses and lectures).
- Supports the strategic development of programs.
- Co-manages with the North Africa Programs Manager (currently based in Tunis) the program budget to ensure that the program is operating within its budget limitations in order to meet its goals and objectives.
- Pursues external funding for project initiatives.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in international relations or related field or equivalent experience required (Ph.D. preferred).
- A minimum of ten or more years of relevant professional experience required.
- Management and supervisory experience, including coordination with field programs and field staff.
- Demonstrated experience on at least one priority North African country. Significant time working in the country or region is preferred.
- Ability to travel to North Africa is required.
- Strong research and analytical skills, and a record of publications.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills, as well as cross-cultural skills, media skills, and the ability to deal with counterparts on every political, social and economic level.
- Fluency in Arabic and/or French is preferred.
- Relevant knowledge of project management
- Experience in personnel management and mentoring processes
- Familiarity with USIP programs in North Africa.
- ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬Familiarity with drafting and negotiating proposals and drafting reports for USG agencies such as INL, DRL and USAID.
- Technical expertise relevant to the region such as reconciliation, criminal justice sector reform, democracy and governance, transitional justice, and public sector/NGO organizational development.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary history.
- Cover letter
For questions about this position, please email email@example.com. Please do not send resumes or attachments to this email address. Due to the high volume of candidates, only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.**
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please use the following URL:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI