Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Closing date: 23 May 2018
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does – in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life – in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions – her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens – addressing inequity – not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfil their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.Job organizational context The Finance Associate, at the GS-6 level in Albania, will report to the Operations Manager at Level 3. Purpose for the job The Finance Associate is responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks in finance functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery in full compliance with UNICEF financial rules and regulations. It is also required to demonstrate the capacity to research, adapt, evaluate irregular cases and recommend improvements to process delivery and design. At the GS-6 level, the below tasks are expected to be carried out with a high level of independence.Key Functions, Accountabilities and Related Duties/Tasks1. Provides interpretation of finance rules, regulations and procedures to heads of units/sections as required. Advises and assists on all aspects related to preparation of reports, compilation of data and answering queries on pledges recorded, funds received, adjustments made to ensure financial compliance, accuracy and completeness of data for its inclusion into statement of accounts and adjustment of budgets. Advises units of discrepancies and assists to resolve differences in their records and financial transactions.
2. Maintains financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports. Acts as the Finance Local Focal Point and works with GSSC on finance and accounting issues. Requests GSSC, when necessary, to correct inaccurate entries, to transfer funds between accounts, and to liquidate obligations no longer required. Prepares payment requests for operating expenses. Reviews payment requests (including DCT related as applicable) submitted by programme for compliance with UNICEF rules and regulations. 3. Provide technical support in the implementation of HACT in line with the HACT policy and procedures. This includes coordinating the preparation of CO annual assessments and assurance plan. Participate in spot checks or on-site review of partner’s financial records related to UNICEF provided funds.
4. In partnership with the Operations Manager, closes year-end accounts and prepares year-end reports related to accounts receivable, accounts payable, prepayment, deposits, NEP and leave balances, etc. Prepares recurring reports as scheduled and special reports, as required for budget preparation, audits or other reasons. Retrieves information on costs of programme elements, such as staff related costs, from automated files and compiles them in standardized and customized reports.
5. Advises and assists staff, experts and consultants on all aspects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters. Calculates and posts payments due for claims and services.
6. Maintains liaisons with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations, and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts. This includes prepares recurring reports and bank reconciliation.
7. Prepares detailed cost estimates, and participates in budget analysis and projects, as required. 8. Performs other duties, as required. Impact of Results
The Finance Associate plays a key role in ensuring the full compliance of the country office with UNICEF financial rules and regulations, by directly contributing to the optimum and effective use of resources and efficient financial recording, accounting and reporting. In turn, it facilitates management oversight, decision making and quality control.Competencies and Level of Proficiency RequiredCore Values• Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • IntegrityCore competencies• Communication (II)• Working with People (II)• Drive for Results (II)Functional Competencies:• Analyzing (II)• Applying Technical Expertise (II)• Planning & Organizing (II)• Following Instructions and Procedures (II)
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Qualified individuals of Albanian Nationality are invited to apply for the position of Finance Associate in UNICEF Albania. The successful candidate will be offered one year Fixed Term Appointment at the level of the post. Renewal of appointment will be based on satisfactory performance and future requirement for this position.
If you have the background and commitment to take on these responsibilities and would like to join UNICEF team, please apply at UNICEF Tirana office by 18:00, Wednesday, May 23, 2018.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=512895
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT