Organization: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Closing date: 27 May 2018
Background: Migration, refugee movements and internal displacement shaped the African continent in the past decades and gained renewed relevance with a rising number of displaced persons in recent years. Migration is by nature transnational and thus needs coordination and management beyond the national level. The African Union (AU) took up its responsibility in developing continent wide positions and strategies and setting standards on migration, mobility and displacement. Together with its Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the AU is charged with the responsibility of coordinating and overseeing the implementation of conventions and declarations on continental, regional and national level. Further, the AU Commission (AUC) represents the continent in international and regional fora like the EU-Africa Migration and Mobility Dialogue, the UN Global Compact on Migration, etc., and assures the implementation of common agreements and action plans. The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) commissioned a three year project, implemented by GIZ, to support the AUC in the area of migration and displacement. The objective of this project is to strengthen the capacities of the African Union to realise its mandate in the area of migration, mobility, and displacement. GIZ supports its implementing partner, the AUC’s Department of Social Affairs, in enhancing its coordination function on migration related topics inside the AU as well as on the continent. It further supports the implementation of the Migration Policy Framework for Africa (MPFA) on the level of RECs and member states. Finally, it supports different departments and organs within the AU to enhance their capacities in the broader field of migration (including diaspora, remittances, labour migration etc.) through an open fund.
Experience: GIZ is therefore looking for migration experts with a minimum of 5 years working experience in one or more of the following thematic fields of the MPFA:
- Migration Governance: proven knowledge in global and African migration governance.
- Free Movement of Persons: proven knowledge regarding free movement of persons, regional integration, etc.
- Labour Migration: proven knowledge of labour migration policies, legislation and structures at national and regional levels regarding the protection of migrant workers, labour recruitment systems and bilateral labour agreements and especially the Joint Labour Migration Programme and its key areas of activity: free movement of workers, skills portability, labour market information systems, brain gain and brain circulation.
- Diaspora Engagement: proven knowledge regarding the migration-development nexus, diaspora participation and engagement, transfer of knowledge, skills and technologies.
- Remittances: proven knowledge regarding the developmental effects of remittances and remittance transfer mechanisms.
- Protection Regimes and Durable Solutions: proven knowledge of international and African conventions and protocols regarding refugees, asylum-seekers and internally displaced persons as well as protection strategies.
- Human Trafficking: proven knowledge of counter-trafficking strategies, international conventions and protocols regarding the trafficking in persons, protection of victims of trafficking.
- Return and reintegration: proven knowledge regarding (socio-economic) reintegration and/or labour-marked integration in the area of voluntary return as well as irregular migration and displacement.
- Legal Drafting/ Policy Development: Experience in legal drafting with a focus on African Union law/ Public International Law; Experience in Human Rights Law.
Requirements: A suitable candidate must fulfill the following general requirements:
- Advanced degree in the field of international relations, human rights, development, migration, law or any related field;
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in one or more of the thematic fields of the MPFA
- Knowledge of the global and African institutional environment regarding migration, mobility and displacement;
- Knowledge of global and regional processes in the field of migration, mobility and displacement;
- Proven working or cooperation experience with regional, continental or global organisations;
- Working experience with the AUC or other AU organs will be an asset/ of advantage;
- Demonstrate effective ability for teamwork, as well as the ability to work independently;
- Fluency in English required; fluency in French will be a strong asset;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Willingness to travel on the African continent.
How to apply:
We highly encourage applications from African candidates.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their CVs including their contact details, country of residence and nationality to Sophie.Okalany@giz.de; copying Feben.Tamrat@giz.de. Please also indicate whether you are available for short-term or long-term placements.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV