Organization: Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency
Closing date: 14 May 2018
ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position: Transformation Agenda Advisor, Natural Resources Management
Term of Employment: through July 7, 2020
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Required Number: One (1)
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: May 14, 2018
The Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) was established by the Government of Ethiopia with assistance from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to identify and address systemic bottlenecks in Ethiopia’s agricultural development. The ATA does this through planning, analysis, implementation support, and reporting on the interventions outlined in the Agricultural Transformation Agenda. The Transformation Agenda is a set of prioritized interventions to accelerate the transformation envisioned as part of Ethiopia’s Growth and Transformation Plan II. The Transformation Agenda is overseen by the Agricultural Transformation Council chaired by the Prime Minister.
ATA has launched a Delivery Unit in the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources (MoANR) to directly support MoANR’s work on the Transformation Agenda. Delivery Units have played a critical role in accelerating execution of development initiatives in many countries, particularly in East and Southeast Asia, and today are also present in Ethiopia’s Prime Minister’s office and the Revenue and Customs Authority. The Delivery Unit will be jointly overseen by the Minister of Agriculture and Natural Resources and ATA senior management. The Delivery Unit team plays a highly visible and pivotal role in accelerating agricultural transformation and development in Ethiopia.
The Transformation Agenda (TA) Advisor will work closely with the Delivery Unit team, the Ministry and the ATA to provide technical support to the project leaders of Natural Resource-related interventions in the Transformation Agenda. Specific interventions include:
- Irrigation: Sustainable water resources development, effective water management and use of water resources for irrigation development
- Watershed Development: Strategically linking bio-physical investments in watershed development with income generation to promote local economic growth
- Rural Land Use Planning and Admin: Establishing the necessary policy, legal and institutional framework
- Soil Health: Facilitating the move from blanket to targeted recommendations for soil fertility enhancement and balancing chemical and organic solutions for improving soil fertility
- Climate Change: Strengthening that agricultural and market systems and services that promote Climate Smart Agriculture (including financial systems, output markets and input distribution systems), and enhancing human and institutional capacity to promote Climate Smart Agriculture
- The TA Advisor must have strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills, technical expertise and problem-solving experience, as well as initiative design, planning, implementation management and reporting experience. The TA Advisor will report directly to the State Minister of Natural Resources and have a second, functional reporting line to the Delivery Unit Coordinator. This position provides an opportunity to be on the front lines of Ethiopia’s growth and transformation into a middle-income country. The successful candidate will have a strong desire to learn, innovate and drive rapid change to benefit Ethiopia’s farmers.
- Coordinate effective annual planning, budgeting and target setting activities for Transformation Agenda projects
- Identify and analyze critical technical issues directly related to design and implementation of prioritized projects
- Proactively engage with other DU team members, the ATA and external partners to develop solutions and recommendations to address identified technical issues
- Engage with senior staff within the Ministry, the ATA and external partners to align on and implement project adjustments
- Contribute to ToRs, concept notes, studies, workshops, and training materials, directly related to prioritized projects
- Monitor progress reporting through key reporting systems and tools, engaging with relevant activity owners to ensure reporting is timely and accurate
- Identify and escalate challenges around implementation and reporting, as well as solutions and recommendations, to project leaders and the Delivery Unit Coordinator
- Provide capacity building on technical project execution to MoANR staff
- Provide other technical advisory and input needed for effective project implementation
- MA/MSc required in agriculture development, natural resources development, water resources and irrigation development, soil health and fertility, climate or related area. PhD is preferable.
- 10+ years of experience with MA/MSc, or 8+ years of experience with PhD in natural resources development, water resources and irrigation development, soil health and fertility and/or climate
- Deep understanding of Ethiopia’s agricultural sector, with a broad perspective on how public, private and non-government organizations operate in the system
- Specific experience in planning, prioritizing, sequencing, managing, problem-solving and reporting on implementation of projects
- Self-starter with strong motivation, ownership and commitment to deliver results
- Promotes data-driven and evidence-based problem solving and decision making
- Strong team player with excellent relationship building and communication skills
- Desire to innovate and drive rapid change for Ethiopia’s farmers
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service
- Fluency in English and Amharic
How to apply:
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit only (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages), and (iii) a completed ATA Application Form at http://apply.ata.gov.et.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
NB. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV