Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 23 May 2018
Call for Applications
Position Title : Programme Officer (IBM)
Duty Station : Banjul, Gambia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 May 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission, and in close coordination with the relevant units in IOM the Gambia and the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Regional Thematic Specialist (RTS) in Dakar, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for coordination and implementation of project activities, development of new project ideas, as well as monitoring and reporting of the IBM portfolio in IOM The Gambia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide technical inputs and support in setting and updating the overall direction of IBM portfolio in IOM the Gambia to promote its effectiveness, coherence and integrity, as well as to build linkages with other relevant projects.
Supervise and coordinate the implementation of all operational, financial and administrative aspects of IOM the Gambia IBM project activities.
Contribute written inputs for the development of, and update work plans, implementation strategies, and expenditure plans in order to facilitate timely implementation and achievements of IBM project activities and results.
Coordinate and work with the RTS and other IOM staff in the Regional Office for West and Central Africa to ensure the necessary technical resources and expertise for successful implementation of IBM projects.
Prepare and submit regular project reports in a timely manner according to IOM and donor reporting requirements and procedures, in close coordination with relevant units.
Identify new project opportunities in the wider IBM arena in line with identified needs, donor and governmental priorities and IOM’s mandate and strategy, and develop project proposals and corresponding budgets.
Conduct desk research and assess local context on IBM issues and prepare background information to support programme and to develop new project proposals.
Provide technical support in supporting the Gambian Immigration Department’s capacity building efforts and strengthening practices in border management.
Expand collaboration with relevant governmental entities, partners and donors, in close coordination with the Regional Office, governmental authorities and international and regional institutions as well as partners’ organizations in the public/private sector.
Participate in relevant conferences, workshops, steering committees, policy and technical working groups, as well as other forums to ensure proper coordination and presentation of IBM activities.
Draft and edit reports for capacity building events and other project activities, review project evaluations, support in producing/updating briefing notes, visibility products and project factsheets ensuring meeting donors’ requirements and IOM guidelines.
Undertake duty travel related to programme assessment, liaison with counterparts, and new programme developments, as required.
Perform such other relevant duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree preferably in International Relations, Laws, Political or Social Sciences, or Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree, preferably in Laws, Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, International Development, or Business Administration, with four years of relevant professional experience, preferably in administrative and project management support or similar roles.
• Experience in and/or knowledge of migration, border management, cross-border trade and protection of migrant’s rights is a distinct advantage;
• Experience either on project development, project management, database management, project monitoring and evaluation relevant to IBM;
• Experience with international humanitarian organizations, nongovernmental or governmental institutions/organizations in a multi cultural setting;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities, as well as with international institutions;
• Ability to draft clearly and concisely;
• Ability to supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Strong strategic, organizational and time management skills;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds and respect for diversity and gender equality;
• Team work oriented but with a capacity to work independently;
• Good level of computer literacy;
• Working experience in the region an asset.
• Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French and/or local languages would be an advantage
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
No late applications will be accepted.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 May 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 10.05.2018 to 23.05.2018
Requisition: CFA 2018/19 (P) – Programme Officer (IBM) (UG) – Banjul, The Gambia (55456318) Released
Posting: Posting NC55456319 (55456319) Released
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT