Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 22 May 2018
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision Migration Management Programme Manager and Peace, Security and Gender Project Officer, IOM is seeking a Consultant with experience of engaging with local civil society and media organisations in Iraq.
The incumbent will oversee the establishment of Steering Committees for the Media and Civil Society respectively, to discuss the safety and security problems, and discuss potential projects to solve the problems. The Steering Committees will consist of individuals representing civil society/media, the community, and law enforcement and will be monitored and mentored by IOM
Three safety and security projects will be selected by the respective Steering Committees to be implemented by Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and Media Organisations respectively. The incumbent will support IOM to ensure that a transparent, democratic selection process is followed. Projects will be localised and implemented by CSOs/Media Organisations. The incumbent will support the development and monitoring of the projects through workshops for Media and Civil Society respectively.
The first workshops will be to identify the priorities, geographic scope, implementing partners and implementing guidelines. Projects will begin after the first workshop following completion of agreed upon requirements. The second workshops will be held mid-way into the implementation of the projects as a monitoring exercise. Lastly evaluation workshops will be held in the last month of the project implementation time frame to reflects on successes and challenges of the projects.
Throughout, the incumbent will be supported by a Media and Civil Society National Officer, a Media Project Assistant and Civil Society Project Assistant, based in Baghdad.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Summary of key functions:
Develop workshop material for media and civil society aimed at developing, monitoring and evaluating safety and security projects for media and civil society.
Deliver three workshops for media and civil society separately aimed at developing, monitoring and evaluation safety and security projects.
Develop tools and mechanisms for the transparent selection process of implementing partners, in line with IOM procedures, for selection of safety and security projects, three implemented by the media and three implemented by civil society.
Develop tools and mechanisms for monitoring all six safety and security projects, ensuring they are on track to financially and to achieve targets.
Develop simple evaluation tools mechanisms in coordination with IOM’s Monitoring and Evaluation Unit, to measure the impact of the six safety and security projects.
Provide written reports following each workshop, sharing relevant successes or challenges with the Migration Management Unit (MMU).
Work with National Officer and Project Assistants to engage with Media and CSOs to ensure that workshops are inclusive and representative, and that communication to all stakeholders is clear and transparent.
Under the supervision of the Peace, Security and Gender Officer, ensure that IOM policies and procedures are followed with regards to the financial, legal and programmatic obligations of the selected implementing partners.
Under the supervision of Peace, Security and Gender Officer, engage with external stakeholders as necessary including, the government of Iraq, international community and UN agencies.
Upon request, provide inputs to donor reports for Strengthening Community Policing in Iraq Phase II project.
Undertake field trips as necessary.
· Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
· Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
· Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
· Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
· Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
· Displays mastery of subject matter;
· Contributes to a collegial team environment;
· Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA);
· Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
· Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
· Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
· Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
· works effectively with local staff, authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to achieve objectives.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
· Master’s degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Law, Political or Social Sciences, International Affairs, or related fields;
· Fluency in English and knowledge of Arabic desirable;
· Proven experience of working with Media, civil society and law enforcement
· Proven experience in developing and delivering workshops/trainings
· At least 7 years of knowledge and experience in working in complex conflict contexts;
· Experience of working in non-permissive security environments;
- Fluent in English, command of Arabic necessary.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via a link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT