Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 22 May 2018
Under the overall supervision of the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Project Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Research Officer, the incumbent will support the DTM programme to enhance the data analysis and research capacity of the IOM Iraq mission, undertaking primary data analysis, and supporting with the design of quantitative methodologies for large scale assessments, ad hoc surveys, and other data collection exercises.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Summary of key functions:
Support the DTM teams to analyze routine and ad hoc datasets and carry out population movement analyses;
Support in elaborating descriptive and predictive analyses of the displaced and returnee population datasets as per IOM and humanitarian partners needs;
Contribute selection of indicators to monitor the evolution and characteristics of the IDP and returnee crisis and to the design of information/reporting packages.
Assist in the interpretation of findings for research reports, briefing notes, policy papers, and other materials as required, for academic journal and other IOM publications.
Train and support staff in works related to DTM quantitative data collection, i.e. survey and assessment, and the data analysis. Contribute to the design of the new DTM training in data analysis and data visualization.
Support the missions with new research and surveys; contribute to the design of the methodology for surveys and other assessments; support the design of the questionnaires/data collection tools; contribute to drafting research proposal and the preparatory phases of data collection;
Liaise with academic institutions and collaborating partners for the implementation of ad hoc surveys and find synergies in the work of IOM/DTM and partners and capitalize on existing resources.
Participate to UN and other stakeholders technical working groups related to IM and statistical methodologies for data collection and representation
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· Master’s degree in statistics or related discipline with a strong quantitative analysis component, from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
· University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
· Work experience with the analysis of large datasets;
· Knowledge of migration-related issues particularly with regard to the Middle East Experience in analysis of time series
· Extensive experience in a variety of statistical software like SPSS, R, SAS, STATA
· Ability to finalize survey findings’ tables and statistical reports
· Experience with sampling methods, design and implementation of large surveys in countries with difficult access and little direct control on data collection and field operations
· Experience in designing closed ended questionnaires.
· Additional degree or work experience in the displacement and migration field
· Ability to present research findings to different pools of stakeholders (donors, governments, academics, practitioners, etc) is an advantage.
· Ability to mentor and provide technical training to country office staff and local research teams on data analysis and representation
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
· Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
· Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
· Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
· Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
· Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
· Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
· Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
· Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
· Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
· Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
· Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM (optional depending on position level)
- Fluent in English, command of Arabic necessary.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via a link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT