Organization: African Centre for Technology Studies
Closing date: 14 May 2018
The African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS) is a pioneering development research think tank on harnessing applications of science, technology and innovation policies for sustainable development in Africa. ACTS is an Intergovernmental organization founded in 1988 to pursue policy-oriented research towards strengthening the capacity of African countries and institutions to harness science and technology for sustainable development. ACTS envisions a sustainable economic, social and environmental future for Africa, through science, technology and innovation.
ACTS is currently recruiting for the position of Personal Assistant (PA) to the Executive Director.
The overall responsibility of the Personal Assistant (PA) to support the Executive Director (ED) in the fulfillment and execution of duties to ensure efficient management of the ED’s office, and effective liaison with external partners and contacts as delegated. The PA will be responsible for some human resource management responsibilities. The PA is expected to operate and perform to the highest professional standards, with considerable independence, diversified secretarial duties and designated administrative duties using initiative and judgment, high level organizational skills and knowledge of ACTS policies.
- Support the Director in his/her daily administrative, planning and execution, and travel (including reservations and itineraries) related matters by maintaining a calendar of schedules, events, and meetings.
- Convene and/or coordinate requests for relevant meetings inside and outside ACTS, and support the ED in the planning and preparation of such meetings, including the production of agenda papers, produce succinct, error-free notes and minutes, and provide general assistance during presentations.
- Manage office correspondence with individuals and agencies, often corresponding on behalf of the Director as delegated. These include drafting/editing and/or sending general correspondence or proposals.
- Serve as the first point of contact for the ED with people from both inside and outside the office. This includes coordination of all appointments for the ED and arranging hospitality as required.
- Handle sensitive project information with great tact, discretion and judgment and perform such other tasks as assigned by the ED.
- Coordinate/liaise with other staff to follow-up on deadlines required by the ED.
- Liaise with other staff to order supplies for the ED’s office.
- Maintain an effective filing system both in electronic and hard formats.
- Receive, sign for and acknowledge the receipt of postal packages on behalf of the ED.
- Perform general secretarial duties including, but not limited to, typing, photocopying, filing and mailing.
- Keep abreast of ACTS research activities to be able to deliver briefings as necessary.
- Receive general calls and correspondence, responding/forwarding as appropriate. Keep all contact directories updated, including letters, emails, etc.
- Conduct extensive research and generate error-free write-ups on matters of critical importance to the Director’s planning and decision-making tasks.
- Coordinate human resource functions including: maintenance of human resource files; recruitment and induction of new staff, staff contract and leave management, staff welfare, medical cover and staff insurance.
- Support the Senior Management Team in implementing staff performance management activities.
- Support the development and implementation of human resource development plans.
- Coordinate the procurement, contracting and payments of of consultants.
- Degree in a relevant course like secretarial, human resource management, or a relevant social science from a recognized university.
- Three years experience in a similar position.
- Excellent knowledge of protocol procedures.
- Strong diplomatic and communications skills in English. Knowledge of additional UN language(s) preferably French is an added advantage
The Personal Assistant to the ED shall demonstrate the following competencies:
- Able to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions.
- Able to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work.
- Able to maintain calm and composure even under pressure.
- Shows good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations.
- Focused on results and responds positively to feedback.
- Excellent knowledge in MS office applications.
Contract terms: 3 years
Reports to: Executive Director
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
How to apply:
How to apply
Qualified candidates are invited to address their applications to the Director of Finance and Administration of ACTS through email@example.com . Applications shall include CV with at least three referees and motivation letter. Please indicate current and expected remuneration, as well as the minimum notice period.
Please indicate the title of the position “Application for PA to ED Position” on the subject line of your application email.
Deadline for applications: 14th May 2018.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI