Organization: UN Assistance Mission in Somalia
Closing date: 23 May 2018
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is in the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) Regional Office in Mogadishu. The Field Security Assistant reports to the Chief Security Officer. S/he will support and assist the Chief Security Officer in the Field Mission to ensure the safety and security of UN Staff members, UN Facilities and property in the mission area. When and if required the Field Security Assistant will provide support to the mission’s security training and planning.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within delegated authority, the Field Security Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
· Provides general administrative support services to assist the Security Officers fulfil their duties vis-à-vis staff members and their dependents;
· Assists with data consolidation and dissemination of relevant security information required for the analysis of the security situation by the Chief Security Officer (CSO), Deputy Chief Security Officer (DCSO) and Security Officers;
· Assists the Security Officers in the Security Operations Branch with the preparation of any security related documents including Security Plans, SRM, regular reports and any other reports related to the security section activities as well as providing the Operations Branch units with administrative assistance;
· Drafts correspondence and maintains records for the Security Training Courses delivered to security and field mission’s personnel;
· Provides support during the implementation of the Security Plan under the directions of the Chief Security Officer;
· Assists in reviewing the logistics requirements and other related actions required for the preparation of training courses, drills and other security exercises;
· Monitors and facilitates the implementation of security policies and procedures in close coordination with the security operation unit’s supervisors and others;
· Establishes and maintains close relations with host country security agencies and acts as liaison between the security professionals and the host country services, to discuss potential problems and plan possible methods of resolutions;
· Provides support in organizing and conducting security awareness and preparedness activities, and provides security orientation to newly assigned staff members, as well as conducting security briefings, as required;
· Assists with the preparation of the Induction Training courses, related presentations and documents;
· When and if required, prepares security presentations for the CSO and the Security Officers in other units;
· Coordinates with units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
· Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel programme, organize and coordinate seminars, conferences and translations).
· Performs any other duties as directed by the CSO or his/her delegate.
Professionalism: Good understanding of political, social and economic developments in Somalia and in particular Mogadishu. Ability to identify and analyze political, clan and economic issues that have the potential to cause civil unrest. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the administration and community. Ability to develop source data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faces with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing other ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Specialized Security training/courses are desirable.
Experience: A minimum of three (03) years of relevant experience in Security or related areas such as Police and Military experience.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English and Somali is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Method of Evaluation: Qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be
followed by a competency-based interview.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline May 23, 2018 not be accepted. Curriculum Vitae (CV) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Kindly attach a copy of P11, High School Certificate, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT