Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Country: South Sudan
Closing date: 14 May 2018
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a champion
If the current drivers of food insecurity worsen through the end of 2018, and in the absence of humanitarian assistance, there is a heightened risk of Famine in areas where large populations are already experiencing severe food insecurity. To prevent populations falling into Catastrophe (IPC Phase 5), sufficient and sustained multi-sectoral humanitarian assistance, unhindered humanitarian access and close monitoring of the worst-affected areas is required. UNICEF has therefore implementing a rapid response mechanism to address critical gaps in humanitarian needs of affected population beyond PoCs and IDP sites where the situation is still fluid and the population difficult to reach. Considering the volatility of the situation, the severity of logistical and access constraints, the operating mode of the rapid response is thought to be highly flexible in sectors to be covered (WASH, Health, Nutrition, Education and Child Protection), adaptive to accommodate to changing environment, response oriented to ensure immediate actions are taken along with assessments using a “no regret approach”. Therefore, there is urgent need to hire two RRM nutritionist for a period of 11 months from 01 July 2018 – 31 May 2018 to support implementing partners in scaling up of CMAM interventions in hard to reach areas. The nutritionists will be based in Juba UNICEF office with frequent travel for Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM).
Under the management and supervision by the RRM Nutrition Focal Point, the staff/public health nutritionist/public health nurse will be responsible to:
1. Plan and prepare nutrition activities for assigned RRM locations:
– Identify of nutrition supply needs for assigned RRM locations, ensure launch of release orders and preparation for delivery according to internal RRM SOPs.
– Liaise with nutrition partners as applicable and organize partner planning meetings as needed as part of the planning process for RRM nutrition activities;
– Participate in relevant team meetings and liaise with other Section RRM team members for internal planning/briefing meetings ahead of relevant RRM deployments.
2. Organize and lead planned RRM nutrition activities in the field:
– Ensure relevant trainings for volunteers and partners in the field participating in the implementation of RRM nutrition activities, organize mass MUAC screening of children 6-59 months and pregnant and lactating women, micronutrient supplementation and deworming for eligible children where applicable and implementation of IYCF activities;
– Ensure referral and treatment of identified children and women suffering from acute malnutrition according to existing CMAM guidelines and RRM Nutrition SOPs;
– Identify needs and critical gaps in nutrition services and ensure timely reporting on such to RRM Nutrition Focal Point.
3. Ensure RRM nutrition data collection, compilation, analysis and reporting:
– Collect and compile screening data and other key documentation of RRM nutrition activities for reporting;
– Ensure collection of key information on aspects related to nutrition (food security, access to health care, IYCF) while deployed to the field;
– Ensure the compilation of a comprehensive report on nutrition needs assessment, RRM nutrition activities and recommendations for further action and follow-up at the end of each deployment;
– Ensure compilation of success stories (‘human interest stories’) from field missions;
– Liaise with RRM Nutrition Focal point on the initial follow-up of specific recommendations from each RRM mission.
4. Monitor and supervise nutrition partners in RRM locations:
– Conduct monitoring of PCA partners, take required immediate actions and ensure timely submission of field trip report in RRM locations where this apply.
5. Contribute to general RRM Nutrition and Program activities:
– Provide support in development of guidelines, manuals, tools etc. as requested by RRM Nutrition Focal Point;
– Participate in technical meetings, seminars, workshops and trainings as requested by RRM Nutrition Focal Point.
6. Provide support to other Nutrition Program activities during periods between field deployments:
– Perform other related nutrition activities as assigned by Chief of Nutrition and approved by RRM Nutrition Focal Point.
Expected background (Qualifications & Experience)
i. Bachelor degree in nutrition /public health /social science or relevant degree to nutrition with 4years experiences.
ii. Qualified nutritionist, preferably with field experience in emergency nutrition
No contract may commence unless the contract is signed by both UNICEF and the consultant
The consultant is not entitled to payment of overtime. All remuneration must be within the contract agreement
No travel in lieu of the contract will be undertaken by the consultant to the duty station without prior submission of insurance cover and waiver in the event of injury while executing the duty
The consultant will not have supervisory responsibilities or authority on UNICEF budget
Consultant will be required to sign the Health statement for consultants/Individual contractor prior to taking up the assignment, and to document that they have appropriate health insurance, including Medical Evacuation
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=512957
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT