Organization: International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas
Closing date: 16 Jul 2018
Main purpose of position
The Assistant to the Deputy Director General-Research (DDG-R) will provide technical and administrative support to the DDG-R, including researching, assembling and summarizing scientific information, preparing presentations, supporting with administrative and logistical services.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
· Assist the Deputy Director General (DDG-R) with the preparation and managing of meeting organized by the DDG-R, including coordinating the development of the agenda, logistical arrangements, drafting of reports or minutes of the meetings, and their final dissemination;
· Assist the DDG-R with monitoring and following up on the various initiatives and important matters under his responsibilities;
· Research and summarize scientific information for the use of the DDG-R, e.g. presentations at scientific meeting and conferences, and prepare PowerPoint presentations tailored for different needs and audiences, and other communication material as may be required;
· Manage all administrative matters pertaining to the Office of the DDG-R, including establishing and effective filing system, preparation of travel authorizations; leave requests, and expense claims, using the UWB system;
· Act as the contact person in the DDG-R Office and effectively manage requests for information and queries from within and outside ICARDA;
· Draft responses to various official correspondences;
· Facilitate communication, and work closely with the offices of Programs Directors and other Managers reporting to the DDGR;
· Perform any other tasks assigned by the DDGR.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications and competencies
· Master degree in Agricultural Sciences or other scientific discipline relevant to ICARDA research, with minimum 5 years’ experience in a comparable role; a Bachelor degree is accepted if complemented by substantive additional years of relevant experience, or substantive formal training certifications.
· Experience in providing technical and administrative support to senior management, including experience in an international and multicultural setting;
· Good understanding of organizational processes and procedures;
· Excellent command of written and spoken English;
· Advanced level skills in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, and web applications;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural work environment;
· Excellent time-management and organizational skills;
· A collaborative and team-oriented approach to work;
· Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision;
· High degree of integrity, discretion and confidentiality.
Desirable qualifications and competencies
· Knowledge of Arabic and/or French
· Work experience in a research for development organization.
How to apply:
Please apply online at www.icarda.org/iea/ by July 16, 2018
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI