Closing date: 17 Jul 2018
TERMS OF REFERENCE: CONSULTANCY SERVICES FOR ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND FINANCIAL LITERACY SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Project: DEPP – Disasters and Emergencies Preparedness Program
Position Type: Short-Term Consultancy
Study/Assessment Topic: Consultancy Services for Entrepreneurship and Financial Literacy Skills Development
Position Location: Nairobi, with travel to Garissa and Marsabit Labs
Duration: The Consultancy Period will be on Call Basis for Specific Dates of Training Schedules Based on the Counties Within the Period of up to 30th May 2019
Reporting To: Project Director – DEPP Lab
Working With: The Innovations Lead
Starting Date: Immediately
Application Deadline: 17th July, 2018
Vacancy Contact: Please send applications to email@example.com – Adeso will only respond to short-listed applicants.
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Adeso is leading in the Implementation of the Disasters and Emergencies Preparedness Program (DEPP) Innovation Lab, a 22 months’ project under the AIM (Adeso, iHub MasterCard) Consortium. The objective of this program is to increase preparedness and resilience of disaster-prone communities in Garissa and Marsabit counties of Kenya by drawing on their deep knowledge of pastoralist.
The Consortium has formed Maarifa Kona community innovation labs in Garissa and Marsabit where rural communities are participating to find ideas, prototype and scale innovations for commercialization. It is from this background that a number of community innovators are engaged with the labs to refine and prototype their ideas.
BACKGROUND FOR CONSULTANCY
To inject business development and entrepreneurship skills for the Innovators, a number of capacity building programs have been underlined to help them manage financial resources through building their financial skills. Adeso therefore seeks to foster entrepreneurship and financial literacy skills among the innovators to solve challenges that hinder enterprise and innovation growth and to support the development and widespread application of new ideas, systems, and technologies.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
· To design basic training methodology in the areas of financial literacy and entrepreneurship skill development.
· To train a group of innovators of financial management and literacy skills.
· To design basic start-up curriculum guide for the innovators on financial literacy and entrepreneurship skills development.
Entrepreneurship and financial literacy training program will offer basic training to community Innovators covering basic financial record keeping, marketing, costing, business planning and practical business skills. Training is followed by individualized business planning, mentoring and advisory services to support innovators in planning for their capital and best practices to solve problems specific to their innovations. These elements are further supplemented by peer learning, group mentoring, and the use of electronic media to share additional business tips, advice, and sector trends.
SCOPE OF WORK
The training will be undertaken in phases within the counties of Nairobi, Garissa and Marsabit on different occasions. This will be an incremental training that basically is meant to provide and build capacity of community Innovators.
The consultancy period will be based on call basis for specific dates of training schedules based on the counties within the period of up to 30th May 2019.
· Basic financial/entrepreneurship skills curriculum in both hard and soft copies
· Training report demonstrating a participatory training approach and a list of post training actions for improving entrepreneurship and financial literacy.
· Masters’ degree (or equivalent degree/experience) in Business Administration/Management, International/Rural Development, Economics, or a related field.
· Minimum seven (7) years of experience in Business and Entrepreneurship Development training and support.
· Experience in provision of policy advice and technical assistance on entrepreneurship, financial literacy on business goals.
· Experience in Facilitation/training skills/especially in adult learning methodologies.
· Knowledge and experience of community engagement;
· Demonstrated excellent training delivery analytical, writing and editing skills;
· Prior working experience with communities in Northern Kenya is desirable.
· Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili skills. Good presentation and communication skills.
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to Adeso any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from Adeso.
How to apply:
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17th July, 2018 with “**Consultancy Services for Entrepreneurship and Financial Literacy Skills Development”** on the subject line. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered.
Each application package should include the following:
- An application letter addressing the selection criteria including how the consultant’s previous experience matches the consultancy objectives as well as the interest for the position. It should also indicate the candidate’s availability and consultancy rates. The letter should be no longer than two pages;
- A sample of recent work;
- Updated CV including relevant work experience and qualifications;
- Contact details of 2 references.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT