Closing date: 31 Jul 2018
Working closely with the ICAP in Mozambique Country Director and Strategic Planning & Program Management Director, the consultant will develop a design for a performance based financing (PBF) strategy for Nampula province.
Period: 45 working days between July 15 and September 30, 2018
Location: Remote with 10% travel to Nampula province
Background research on performance-based financing in Mozambique:
- Conduct a desk review of global best practices for cost-effective and sustainable PBF mechanisms, particularly in sub-Saharan African countries and other low resource settings.
- Review Mozambique’s past and current PBF strategies to discern what aspects have been successful and what needs to be improved, with regards to healthcare worker (HCW) motivation, HCW retention, quality of care, costing, and perverse effects.
- Travel to Nampula (and possibly Gaza) province to discuss PBF with provincial health directorates, healthcare administrators, and HCWs, to better understand needs and perceptions of PBF and financial incentives.
- Meet with Ministry of Health (MISAU) representatives to discuss MISAU’s new human resources for health retention strategy and general national-level strategic planning.
Development of PBF strategy and approach:
- Develop a design for an efficient and equitable PBF strategy in Nampula province focused on healthcare workers based at rural and hard-to-reach facilities that provide antiretroviral therapy. Proposal should detail payment typology (quality vs. quantity), payment cycles, payment allocation (facilities vs individual HCWs), and payment distribution within health facilities.
- Develop list of incentivized indicators, measurement rubrics, and data verification mechanisms, to be used for both program implementation and ongoing monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide recommendations on implementation standards and guidelines, including on how PBF mechanism should be phased-in in Nampula province.
- Develop detailed cost estimates for proposed PBF strategy.
- PhD or Master’s Degree in public health, health administration, health financing, international development or a related field or proof of relevant program experience.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- 10+ years of progressive experience in public health programming, including 5+ years in the design of PBF programs or related programs in the context of a developing country.
- At least 5 years of experience living or working in low resource settings, preferably Mozambique. Previous experience working in Mozambique, with thorough understanding of the local health system and HIV prevention, care, and treatment is a plus.
- Exhibit a high level of diplomacy and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with representatives from other key stakeholders, such as national/regional government, NGOs, CSOs, and the private health sector.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Verbal and written communication skills in Portuguese is a plus.
How to apply:
Please send cover letter and CV by email with subject title “Mozambique Technical Proposal Consultant” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI