Organization: UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Closing date: 10 Jul 2018
The United Kingdom Mission to the United Nations in Geneva represents the interests and policies of the UK at the UN and is recruiting a highly motivated and skilled Human Rights Intern.
The main purpose of this internship is to assist the Human Rights Team of the UK Mission in Geneva with attending and reporting from meetings of the UN Human Rights Council, the Universal Periodic Review and the human rights treaty bodies, and to provide administrative and policy support.
Main Duties and responsibilities:
This internship offers a unique opportunity to participate in the UK Mission’s human rights work as an integral part of the UK delegation, under the guidance of senior staff. The internship will offer a chance to learn about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and about working on human rights issues in an international context. The work will be focused on the UN Human Rights Council (HRC), the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) and the UN treaty bodies. The selected intern will mainly attend human rights meetings at the UN, draft reports from meetings, assist with research and summaries of reports, and participate in organising events. A supervisor will guide the intern and provide on-the-job training.
- Attend human rights meetings and reports from such meetings, including from HRC plenary meetings on country and thematic human rights issues, UPR sessions on various countries up for review, HRC side events, UN treaty body reviews of States Parties, meetings with NGOs, EU coordination meetings, and other human rights related meetings;
- Assist team members in HRC negotiations with note taking, editing texts and background research;
- Assist the team with outreach activities;
- Carry out background research, including on HRC resolutions and UPR recommendations;
- Reading and summarising human rights reports;
- Help organise HRC side events;
- Support the team with some administrative duties.
How to apply:
We do not accept Cvs.
We only accept applications received through this link:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV