Organization: US Institute of Peace
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 11 Aug 2018
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front row seat to the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
We are a nonpartisan institute chartered by Congress to tackle the world’s toughest problems. Working in conflict zones around the world, our staff advise and support the military, government officials and community leaders – to promote knowledge and practices that prevent, mitigate and resolve violent conflict. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers. The Institute is headquartered in Washington DC with staff working in 22 different countries, at any given time up to 20% of the staff could be deployed working in the field.
The Communications Specialist works in the Office of Public Affairs and Communications (PAC) and assists with the regular maintenance of all USIP’s digital communications channels, including USIP.org, social media, email marketing and other digitally-produced material. The position works closely with and will coordinate with the Online Communications Manager and Managing Editor.
ESTIMATED SALARY RANGE
Grade 09, $56K – $65K
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Offers of employment are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity and amount budgeted for the position.
- Coordinate the workflow, production, testing and final dissemination of USIP email newsletters, announcements, event invitations and other marketing tools.
- Formulate and maintain various performance reports and dashboards and make recommendations for improvement.
- Use contact database (Salesforce) to generate email distribution lists; run regular re-engagement and email preference campaigns at pre-determined intervals to maintain and assure data integrity.
- Train program staff on the use of an email marketing platform (Marketing Cloud/Exact Target).
- Maintain email marketing calendar.
- Liaise with e-mail marketing vendors as needed.
- Serve as the primary point person for all email marketing inquires.
- Monitor and update USIP.org in close coordination with the Managing Editor and Digital Communications Manager.
- Review and prioritize requests. Add relevant links and test for quality assurance before publishing.
- Coordinate with the Creative Unit on selecting and editing photos or creating original graphics and images for the USIP website.
- Liaise with Human Resources to maintain the public staff directory.
- Format and troubleshoot all online registration forms (events, newsletter memberships, etc.) in close coordination with the Events Strategist and Salesforce Specialist.
- Train program staff on the use of a website updates request system (Quickbase).
- Help troubleshoot and resolve website-related problems.
- Liaise with web development vendors as needed.
- Serve as the primary contact for all website inquiries.
- Oversee the daily operations of USIP’s social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+, and YouTube. Ensure that USIP content is cross-promoted on USIP social media sites and that USIP’s social media sites are closely coordinated with USIP priorities and the USIP website.
- Advise on and implement social media strategy and enforce USIP’s social media policy.
- Monitor and regularly report on performance statistics from USIP’s social media sites.
- Produce and/or coordinate the production of social media events for USIP, including Facebook Live, Twitter chats and live-tweeting USIP events, expert testimony, events featuring USIP staff, etc.
- Monitor user-generated content posted to USIP’s social media sites and respond as necessary.
- Stay apprised of and make recommendations regarding emerging opportunities in social media.
- Serve as the primary contact for all inquiries on social media sites.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or nationals of countries listed in a U.S. Collective Defense Arrangement per the Department of State. To see a list of those countries, go to http://www.state.gov/s/l/treaty/collectivedefense/index.htm.
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus on communications, marketing, or a related field, or equivalent professional experience, is required.
- Minimum of three years similar experience.
- Experience using a content management system (preferably Drupal) and email marketing software (preferably Marketing Cloud/Exact Target).
- Experience using email marketing and social media to pursue organizational goals.
- Knowledge of photo editing software (preferably Adobe Photoshop) and HTML editors is preferred.
- Must have familiarity with and demonstrated interest in web standards, including accessibility and usability, as well as best practices and procedures within the industry.
- Understanding of CRM database systems (preferably Salesforce) is preferred.
- Must have ability to analyze problems and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Must have excellent writing skills and command of the English language.
- Must have a keen attention to detail.
- Must have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects, work independently and in collaboration with team members and with staff across the Institute.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary history.
- Cover letter
For questions about this position please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please use the following URL:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI