Country: United States of America
Closing date: 31 Jul 2018
A global health leader situated at Columbia University, ICAP tackles the world’s most pressing health threats and, in collaboration with partners around the world, implements transformative solutions to meet the health needs of individuals. Since its establishment in 2003, ICAP has worked towards its mission of improving the health of families and communities across the world.
With its roots in comprehensive, family-focused HIV services, ICAP is known for its collaborative and supportive approach to strengthening government health systems. ICAP implements innovative and sustainable health solutions through technical assistance; implementation support; capacity-building; and thought and innovation leadership.
Please visit ICAP’s website for more information.
ICAP is seeking applicants for the role of Senior Technical Advisor-Strategic Information to oversee the development and maintenance of the data architecture to generate near real-time HIV recency data for the CDC’s Public Health Surveillance of Recent HIV Infection and Response under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
This position is contingent upon successful proposal outcome and donor approval.
Under the supervision of the Project Director, the Senior Technical Advisor-Strategic Information will oversee the design of a robust data architecture that generates near real-time HIV recency data. The architecture will include user-friendly, high-quality interfaces for data visualization, including hotspot maps and trend analyses, to enhance improved surveillance of HIVrecent infection and enhanced prevention services. S/he will additionally provide technical assistance to ministries of health to design and implement strategy to build capacity of surveillance and informatics systems to oversee data quality and data use for decision making (including capacity building of M&E staff).
In collaboration with ministries of health and CDC:
- Provide direction to highly skilled surveillance specialists, including data analysts and health informatics staff, and conduct formal reviews of work plans for SI staff
- Work closely with laboratory team to manage and analyze HIV recency data
- Lead the review and approval, ensuring consistency and quality, of the strategic information related aspects of protocol design, training, implementation and evaluation
- Design and oversee the implementation of strategies to strengthen and enhance strategic information systems infrastructure and capacity within each focus country, including strategies to build the skills of in-country strategic information personnel to manage and participate in data collection and analysis
- Oversee the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for strategic components of the project, including but not limited to design and QC of data capture application, secure transmission and storage of data on cloud-based servers, design and implementation of central data repository and user-friendly data visualization interface, and routine data reviews
- Oversee the development and implementation of quality control measures that will monitor accurate and complete capture of HIV recency data, deduplication at the central data repository, and accurate summary and analysis of epidemic trends and hotspot mapping
- Represent the project on strategic information issues
- Liaise with other members of multidisciplinary project teams, including leadership, laboratory, clinical, and operational staff
- Facilitates data linkages from recent infection surveillance initiatives to laboratory information systems, HIV case-based surveillance systems, electronic medical record systems, to provide a data platform for more granular and targeted analyses of HIV recency analyses
- Oversee provision of technical assistance to the Ministry of Health (MOH) staff on strategic information domains, including data management, analysis, interpretation, and informatics.
- Identifies and strengthens regular national- and district-level platforms for evidence-based programing, including the establishment of a program performance review meeting
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree (preferably PhD) in Epidemiology, strategic information, international development or other related field.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 8 years of experience working in epidemiology
- At least 5 years of work experience in developing countries
- Advanced technical skills including demonstrated experience in statistical analyses, management of large and complex surveillance data sets, use and dissemination of public health data, and providing technical assistance in these areas
- Experience in the collection, analysis and interpretation of HIV program data (client and clinic level data) as well as sentinel cohort and population based survey data and in the calculation of demographic and epidemiological indicators
- Proficient in SAS, STATA, R or equivalent statistical package to conduct descriptive and model based analyses with HIVprogram data
- Experience in analyzing and in presenting data from multiple sources for identifying national- and sub-national trends and risk factors by population group
- A proven track record of successful knowledge and skills transfer to local institutions through basic and ongoing hands-on skill trainings, seminars, brainstorms and workshops
- Ability to work with and learn from a team of technical experts with varied background (health information system developer, health care service providers, etc.)
- Ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders, including leaders, technical professionals, government and non-government representatives
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and maximum accountability and attention to detail
- Experience in word processing, use of spreadsheets (including graphing), database use, e-mail communication and internet research
- Skills and abilities in the practical use of Epi-Info, SPSS, Excel, and Access
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
- Periodic international travel throughout the region to support the project.
How to apply:
Please send an application letter and CV by email with subject title “1942 – Senior Technical Lead S&I to email@example.com
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI