Organization: International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research
Closing date: 30 Sep 2018
icddr,b, formerly the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, is an international public health research institution based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and has a 58 year history of innovation. Its research agenda, which reflects the full spectrum of global health challenges affecting people living in poverty, is articulated in detail in its current Strategic Plan (available at http://www.icddrb.org). icddr,b is structured into five Scientific Divisions and one Central Management Services (CMS) Division.
Matlab is the name of a sub-district located 55 km from Dhaka where icddr,b has an established field research site that has been serving as a global public health resource for more than 50 years. Matlab is known for hosting the longest running Health and Demographic Surveillance System (HDSS) in the developing world, covering over five decades of population of over 200,000 with data stored in a computerized relational database. Research carried out at Matlab has had profound impact on policy and practices nationally and internationally. Oral rehydration solution for treatment of diarrhea, which is credited with saving over 50 million lives, was first shown to be effective in trials done in this site.
Reporting directly to the Senior Director, Health Systems and Population Studies Division (HSPSD), the Chief Scientist for Matlab is a senior level research position for a scientist with an international reputation for excellence in health and population research. S/he is expected to conduct research on topics area capitalizing on Matlab’s unique field study capabilities, which include perinatal health; maternal, neonatal, child and adolescent health; nutrition; communicable and non-communicable diseases; and field evaluations of vaccines.
icddr,b invites applications for the position of Chief Scientist based in Matlab, Bangladesh. icddr,b offers an internationally competitive remuneration at UN equivalent P5 level paid in US Dollars. The appointment will be made on a fixed-term basis initially for three (3) years, which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Provide scientific leadership to the research activities conducted in Matlab;
· Lead, support and guide researchers to conduct research on focused research priorities and initiatives using the unique HDSS and other support available in Matlab;
· Provide mentorship to junior and mid-level Matlab-based researchers to write research protocols and generate funds;
· Conduct research that will leverage the collaborative, multidisciplinary opportunities presented by the scientific divisions, clinical facilities, and laboratories of icddr,b;
· Work closely with other researchers in HSPSD and other divisions to enhance inter-divisional collaboration to conduct multidisciplinary research taking advantage of the infrastructural support available in Matlab and icddr,b headquarters;
· As a member of the Matlab Steering Committee, s/he will contribute effectively to the scientific output of Matlab-based research.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
· An advanced university degree (PhD/Doctorate is preferred) with a focus on Epidemiology, Public Health, Economics, Sociology, or Demography;
· A minimum of 10 years of experience in conducting population-based health research;
· Strong publication record in international scientific journals in a relevant field;
· Track record of receiving external funds for research entailing population-based studies;+
· Ability to articulate a strong vision for the future of Matlab-based research, and to bring investigators together to make this vision a reality;
· Demonstrated scientific leadership ability and team management;
· Excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral;
· Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills;
· Exceptional integrity and ethical character;
· Ability to deal with ambiguity, to partner with other disciplines;
· A drive for excellence.
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send your CV –
· Setting out your career history with key responsibilities and relevant achievements including, where applicable, publications, grants, and number of people managed;
· A statement of suitability (no longer than two pages) explaining why this role interests you and how your personal skills, qualities, and experience provide evidence of your suitability for the role, with particular reference to the criteria set out in the person specification, to**: directorhrHR@icddrb.orgPlease ensure that both documents contain your full name.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV