Organization: International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research
Closing date: 05 Sep 2018
icddr,b, formerly the International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh, is an international public health research institution based in Dhaka, Bangladesh, and has a 58 year history of innovation. Its research agenda, which reflects the full spectrum of global health challenges affecting people living in poverty, is articulated in detail in its current Strategic Plan (available at http://www.icddrb.org). icddr,b is structured into five Scientific Divisions and one Central Management Services (CMS) Division.
The Health Systems and Population Studies Division is one of the five Scientific Divisions of icddr,b. The division includes four programmes of research: 1) Universal Health Coverage; 2) Non-Communicable Diseases; 3) Climate Change and Health, and 4) Gender and Reproductive Rights. The division also runs health and population surveillance systems in field sites.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Senior Director of the Health Systems and Population Studies Division is a seasoned and strategic executive with an international reputation for excellence in health systems research. S/he will be responsible for leading and effectively managing a team of over 300 staff with 14 PhD level scientists.
icddr,b invites applications for the position of Senior Director, Health Systems and Population Studies Division based at icddr,b’s headquarters in Dhaka, Bangladesh. icddr,b offers internationally competitive remuneration at UN equivalent D1 level paid in US Dollars. The appointment will be made on a fixed-term basis initially for three (3) years, which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Provide strategic leadership for a transformative research agenda of the Division;
· Develop, conduct his/her own externally funded research focused on health systems;
· Ensure that the research conducted by Division is translated to influence national and global policies on universal health coverage, climate change and health, sexual and reproductive health and rights, and prevention and treatment of non-communicable diseases;
· Build sustainable relationships with the international and national health systems and research communities so as to support strong practice-oriented health systems research;
· Provide mentorship for staff development and scientific professional advancement;
· Ensure that the research of the Division is internationally competitive and supported by external funding;
· Ensure the Division’s leading role in all icddr,b health systems related research activities.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· An advanced university degree (PhD/Doctorate is preferred) in Health Systems, International Health, Health Services Research, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Medicine, Public Policy, Epidemiology or Biostatistics.
· A minimum of 12 years of senior level working experience in health systems research.
· A strong publication record and extensive track record in receiving external financial support from multiple funders.
· Ability to articulate a strong vision for the future of icddr,b’s health systems research.
· Excellent communication skills in English, both written and oral.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to build consensus and resolve conflicts.
· Superior decision-making and management skills.
· Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
· Exceptional integrity and ethical character.
· Ability to deal with ambiguity and to partner with other Division.
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send your CV –
· Setting out your career history with key responsibilities and relevant achievements, including, where applicable, publications, grants, budgets and number of people managed and mentored;
· A statement of suitability (no longer than two pages) explaining why this role interests you and how your personal skills, qualities, and experience provide evidence of your suitability for the role, with particular reference to the required qualifications and experience and the roles and responsibilities of the position, to**:** directorHR@icddrb.org
· Please ensure that both documents contain your full name.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV