Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 15 Aug 2018
The Office of the UNHCR was established on 14 December 1950 by the UN General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country (www.unhcr.org)).
The UNHCR Regional Office for Central America, Mexico and Cuba (ROPAN) is located in Panama City. The National Office in Guatemala is located in Guatemala City and works jointly with the Government and civil society organizations to provide protection and assistance to asylum seekers, refugees, persons in transit with international protection needs and persons forcedly displaced. UNHCR and its partners established a Protection and Monitoring Network (RPM) to identify, assist and refer the cases of people in need of international protection that transit through the country. In August 2016, UNHCR also opened a Field Office in Petén with the main objectives of strengthening border monitoring and the RPM, as well as the regional coordination with UNHCR Mexico for referral of cases at heightened risk. The region of Petén is a strategic region for UNHCR due to its multiple border crossing points, both official and unofficial, through which hundreds of refugees and migrants cross to Mexico and Belize every day. Guatemalan security forces and military established a strong presence in the region, and criminal network and drug cartels are known to operate in parallel.
Description of activities:
Under the supervision of the Head of Office, the intern will be asked to perform the following activities:
· Maintain update records of the activities conducted and POCs assisted by UNHCR and IP in the area of responsibility (AOR) of FO Peten (FOPET).
· Support preparation of comprehensive, timely and updated analysis on population flow, population profile, assistance provided.
· Developed geo-referred analysis with reference to the different strategic point in the AOR of FOPET.
· Develop and maintain maps related to main protection risks and services available to the POCs in the AOR.
· Support the preparation of fact-sheet, weekly-monthly reports, info-graphics, presentations, etc.
· Support with the translation of documents, reports, and perform other duties as required.
· Be a recent graduate or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO, in Information Technology, Engineering, Journalism, Statistic, International Relations, Social Sciences, or a related field.
. Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to UNHCR’s work.
· Language abilities in both Spanish and English.
· Availability for minimum 3 to 6 months from date of assignment.
· Capacity to adapt to the requirements of the operation and to be a good team player.
· Respect for diversity and capacity to work in stressful contexts.
· United Nations interns are not paid. However, a monthly allowance for Food and Local Transportation is provided to interns, according to the location in which they work. All costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the intern or their sponsoring institutions.
· Visa: The intern will be responsible for obtaining and financing the necessary visas.
· Travel: The intern will arrange and finance the travel to the posting location where the internship will be completed.
· Medical insurance: The intern will be responsible for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the internship and must show proof of a valid medical insurance coverage.
How to apply:
If interested, please submit a motivation letter and a P11 duly filled and signed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT