Organization: UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
Closing date: 15 Sep 2018
Title: Associate Contracting Officer
Domain: Finance and Administrative Platform
Position Number: AMN-18-1-0003
Organizational Unit: UNESCO Offices for Amman and Iraq
Duty Station: Amman
Type of contract: Service Contract (SC9/3)
Duration of contract: 12 months (3 months initial contract as probationary period)
Annual salary: JOD 30,829.2 (Social Security included)
Deadline (midnight, Amman time)**:** 15 September 2018
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of the functions of the position
The work involves provision of specialized administrative, procurement and logistical support services. Work requires full proficiency in SAP and use of various UNESCO automated applications / tools (e.g. DUO, TULIP, SISTER). While work objectives and methods are well defined, there is a requirement to exercise judgement and to consider the intent of transactions, to identify anomalies, inconsistencies and errors and determine the corrective actions to support sound practices. Work is normally reviewed for accuracy and compliance with the established practices, procedures and instructions.
Under the overall delegated authority of Chief of Finance and Administrative Platform (AO) and the direct supervision of the Contracting Officer, the incumbent will assist in facilitating planning, developing of technical specifications/terms of references, processing of solicitation documents, and implementation of contracts in support of program delivery.
The incumbent of the position will undertake the following responsibility:
1. Assist in conducting market research to keep abreast of significant market development and support the Contracting Officer in analyzing statistical data and market reports on production patterns and availability of good and services. Identify new technologies and products/services, evaluate and propose potential supply sources to the supervisor and participate in the incorporation of research results into the procurement program;
2. Extract specific data, compile and maintain statistics and prepare analytical reports for management relating to the procurement activities of the office;
3. Analyze procurement plans submitted by Programme/Projects Officers and plan accordingly associated procurement actions, involving analysis of a wide range of procurement issues, and identification of possible courses of action(s);
4. Plan, prepare and conduct Requests for Quotation (RFQs), Invitation to Bids (ITBs) and Request for Proposals (RFPs). Analyze and evaluate vendors’ proposals in respect of the Organization’s requirement;
5. Support the procurement process through directly engaging in consultation with the requesting officer(s) and provide advice on the specifications, delivery dates, possible suppliers and optional procurement strategy;
6. Assist the Contracting Officer in providing regular technical support to staff on all aspects of procurement procedures including guidance on procurement-related matters, bids/ proposals evaluations, contracts awarding and contracts review, taking in account the programme/projects objectives, local economic and other conditions;
7. Participate in negotiations with vendor representatives, design solutions to resolve issues / conflicts arising from complex procurement programme, in consultation with the Contracting Officer;
8. Draft and/or assist in drafting of contracts in close coordination and consultation with the Contracting Officer and UNESCO HQ (including BFM.OSS, BFM.FPC and Office of Legal Affairs) in order to provide advice on contractual arrangements and clauses. Ensure adherence to contractual agreements, recommend amendments and extensions of contracts, and advise concerned parties on contractual rights and obligations. Act as secondary controller of invoices (the project team) to ensure their accuracy and compliance with contractual arrangement;
9. Provide the needed training to the junior procurement staff / projects staff and guide the team to achieve the objectives;
10. In close coordination with the Contracting Officer, support the implementation operational activities in UNESCO Iraq and UNESCO Amman Offices;
11. Perform other administrative duties, as assigned.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
· Advanced university degree (equivalent to Masters) in business administration, public administration, procurement, commerce, engineering, law or a related field;
· Specialized courses or certificates (e.g. CIPS) on matters related to Procurement is highly desirable.
· A minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, administration, or related field, preferably with an international or UN organization;
· Proven experience in quality assurance, financial audit and programme/project development and management is desirable.
· Proven experience or knowledge in engagement with public partnership frameworks similar to Implementation Partners Agreements or Harmonized Approach of Cash Transfer (HACT) would be an added advantage.
Skills and competencies
· Knowledge of using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and use of procurement IT solutions;
· Formulating strategies and concepts;
· Proven knowledge of internationally recognized procurement standards and understanding of procurement techniques and practices and market trends;
· Ability to conduct research and analyze data and information to support informed decision-making;
· Applying technical expertise;
· Works collaboratively with colleagues in a multicultural environment.
· Fluency in English is required.
· Knowledge of Arabic or French is desirable.
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates
How to apply:
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete the attached UNESCO CV with a covering letter in English explaining their interest in the position and forward it electronically to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Please indicate the position and vacancy number you are applying for. Incomplete UNESCO CV will not be processed.
Applications can also be received via fax only if internet access is not available to apply online. A completed official UNESCO CV form (available from the UNESCO home page) should be sent to fax number: +962-6-5928456.
Interested and suitable candidates should ensure that their application is submitted on or before 15 September 2018 (Midnight, Amman time).
Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Benefits and entitlements
The candidate shall be offered a Service Contract with a net salary of approximately JOD 30,829.2 per annual (social security included);
The initial contract will be for a probationary period of 3 months renewable subject to satisfactory service; and contingent on the availability of funding;
Other benefits include 2.5 days per month annual leave.
Please note that UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT