Organization: Government of Somalia
Closing date: 21 Aug 2018
SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT (SSIPWP)
Terms of Reference
Position Title: Quantity Surveyor
Department: Public Works
Reporting to: Director of Public Works
CIM Level: A5
Duration: 30 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)
Duty Station: Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H)
The Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing is responsible for managing, building and rehabilitating federal government buildings and the infrastructure of the country. The Ministry has always been the custodian authority of all infrastructures, buildings, bridges, highways and roads, land plots, land tenure, national infrastructure policy, urban planning and topographic and cartographic research in Somalia.
The Ministry is committed to deliver its mandate and functions in a transparent, accountable, effective and efficient manner. The Ministry is also committed to recruit a diverse and inclusive civil service work force that aims to best meet the needs of all Somali citizens.
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the position
The Quantity surveyor manages all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures. He/she seeks to minimize the costs of a project and enhances value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality.
Scope of Services
Reporting to the Director of Public Works, the incumbent is responsible for:
o Managing estimates and costs of the building and civil engineering project works. When the project is in progress, keep track of any variations to the contract that may affect costs and create reports to show profitability.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:**
- Prepare tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities with the architect and/or the client;
- Undertake cost analysis for repair and maintenance project work;
- Assist in establishing a client’s requirements and undertake feasibility studies;
- Perform risk, value management and cost control;
- Advise on a procurement strategy;
- Identify, analyze and develop responses to commercial risks;
- Prepare and analyze costing for tenders;
- Allocate work to subcontractors;
- Review architectural plans and prepare quantity needs
- Estimate quantity and costs of materials
- Prepare contracts and documents
- Set budgets for payments, inventory needs, and materials
- Analyze costs for maintenance and additional building needs
- Track changes in plans or constructions; update budgets
- Hire, negotiate with and document contractors and subcontractors
- Act as a liaison between clients and site managers/engineers
- Keep track of construction materials and inventory
- Identify potential financial or construction risks
- Advise clients on improvements, strategies, and/or estimated costs
- Document progress, materials, and reports on project
- Advise on property taxes, regulations, and local laws
- Source maintenance costs and facilities management for clients
- Develop and maintain working relationships with contractors and subcontractors
- Utilize software to calculate, record, and track inventory and estimates
- Any other duties assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education Qualification, Experience and Skills
o Minimum Diploma of Quantity Surveyor, or equivalent.
o At least 3 years of professional work experience in surveying.
o Excellent organizational and survey skills;
o Demonstrated competence in the use of Microsoft Office and other applicable software;
Excellent oral and written communication skills (of surveying terminology in particular) in Somali. Fluency in English highly desirable.
How to apply:
o Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org, Closing date by 21st August, 2018 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “**Quantity Surveyor MPWRH & VA.no: 00023/18**– Mogadishu, Somalia” on the subject line when applying.
o Qualified Female candidates is highly encouraged to apply.
o Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV