Organization: American Institutes for Research
Closing date: 01 Oct 2018
Job Title: Senior Reading Advisor
Job ID: 10856
The five-year regional USAID/LAC Reads Capacity Program (LRCP), implemented by American Institutes for Research (AIR) and Juárez and Associates (J&A) under the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Cooperative Agreement No. AID-OAA-A-14-00058, seeks to increase the impact, scale, and sustainability of early grade reading interventions in the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) region. This will be achieved through the development and dissemination of state-of-the-art knowledge resources and the provision of technical assistance to host country governments and other key stakeholders. The program, implemented from 2014-2019, enhances efforts to boost early grade reading outcomes in the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Nicaragua and Peru, as well as Eastern Caribbean states.
During the 2017-2019 period, LCRP will intensify, deepen, and expand its work in Haiti. The LRCP team will provide technical support which will lead to sustained, systematic improvements in early grade literacy (EGL) capacity in Haiti. The LRCP team will provide technical support by building capacity in curriculum and materials development in the Ministère de l’Éducation Nationale et de la Formation Professionnelle (MENFP), in The Direction de Formation et de Perfectionnement (DFP) whose work focuses on teacher training, higher education institutions, and other education sector stakeholders including national instructional materials creators and printers, thus leading to sustained, systematic improvements in EGL capacity in Haiti.
This position is needed to review the development of high standard teaching and learning materials, including student books, teacher guides, and trainer materials. The Senior Reading Advisor will build capacity of the local staff and government counterparts in developing such materials on scientific grounds, establishing systems for development and review, and preparing detailed plans to meet the deadlines. The Advisor’s work will be focused on reviewing and providing advice and processes for the LAC Reads Team to develop quality student and teacher learning materials for Grades 3 and 4.
Eligibility: Haitian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Funding has already been secured for this full-time position.
· Masters or higher degree in Education or a related field
· Experience with working with USAID
· Fluency in French and Haitian Creole required; English desired
· Experience with the content of literacy lessons/curriculum for primary level in Haiti
· Knowledge of Haiti curriculum standards for Grades 3-4
· Expertise in lesson design and development; experience in designing lesson plan templates
· Strong understanding of a scope and sequence of skills instruction in French and Haitian Creole
· Experience in creating a scope and sequence of skills in reading for students in Grades 3-4
· Knowledge of the basic skills needed for proficient reading based upon current scientific research in the French language and languages like Haitian Creole
· Project management experience or experience managing a team and multiple timelines and deadlines
American Institutes for Research is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
How to apply:
Apply: Use this link: https://jobs-airdc.icims.com/jobs/10856/senior-reading-advisor/job
Or visit AIR’s Careers Page and search for job opening 10856
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI