Organization: Armed Conflict Location and Events Dataset
Closing date: 30 Sep 2018
The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a research project which records, publishes and analyses disaggregated data on violent political conflict. These data are publicly available, along with analysis and information about the project, at www.acleddata.com. These data are used for a range of purposes, from academic research on dynamics of conflict to informing diplomatic policy, and humanitarian and development work in conflict-affected contexts.
ACLED is recruiting a part time Local Data Coordinator to coordinate the development and management of ACLED’s local partnerships across the world. The Local Partnerships Coordinator will be supervised by the Research and Program Directors. The Local Partnerships Coordinator will be responsible for the following tasks:
Partner Identification and Relationship Building:
- Support the Research Director and Regional Research Managers to identify, vet and contact potential local data partners;
- Outline Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) between selected local data partners and ACLED, as well as data sharing agreements (where required);
- Communicate regularly with existing partners to assess training/capacity development needs, access data (where applicable) and provide coaching and support on analysis (especially using Tableau);
- Manage administration of partnerships in terms of tracking new partners, partnership conclusions/expansions, and collect any documentation or information needed;
- Take the lead — with input from Research Director, Global Research Manager, and relevant Regional Research managers — to assess, clean/manipulate and integrate local partner data into ACLED dataset where appropriate. This will require ability to work with multiple spreadsheets, wrangle data, translate one data methodology to another, and attention to detail.
- Identify partner training desires and needs;
- Liaise with partners to organize in person or digital trainings on determined topics under the supervision of the Program Director and Research Director;
- Draft and plan agenda and materials for trainings;
- Give trainings in person or digitally (as directed by Research Director);
- Ensure Monitoring and Evaluation requirements are met for trainings;
Manage software donations to partners (e.g. Tableau) where appropriate;Conflict Sensitivity/Do No Harm:
Ensure ACLED’s work with local data partners is in strict adherence with principles of conflict sensitivity and DNH; Reporting
Provide reporting on activities related to or involving local data partners.
Skills and competencies
ACLED is seeking applicants who have the following skills and experience:
- Fluency in English is essential; additional fluency in Arabic, Spanish, and/or French is preferred;
- Ability to work remotely with limited supervision;
- Experience working with large datasets (including data cleaning and prepping for analysis);
- Excellent skills using Excel and Tableau Software suite and other similar tools (essential);
- Experience wrangling data and working across multiple data methodologies;
- Field experience in humanitarian or peace-building;
- Considerable experience in leading technical trainings with local organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Europe and the Balkans, and/or Latin America;
- Strong verbal communication/presentation skills;
- Flexible and positive attitude;
- Cross-cultural awareness and comfort working with people from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds;
- Good understanding of principles of conflict sensitivity and Do No Harm;
- Willingness to travel to remote locations on short notice;
- Research focus or professional experience in conflict research or peace-building in developing states;
- Master’s degree in social science, data science, or international development preferred.
How to apply:
To apply, please visit ACLED’s career portal to submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications, experience and language proficiency.
Further information on the project is available online at acleddata.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply as soon as possible.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI