Organization: International Center for Tropical Agriculture
Closing date: 29 Sep 2018
The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) – a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org) – develops technologies, innovative methods, and new knowledge that better enable farmers, especially smallholders, to make agriculture competitive and profitable as well as sustainable and resilient. CIAT conducts research for development in tropical regions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia (www.ciat.cgiar.org).
CIAT’s Pan-African Bean Research Alliance (PABRA) is Africa’s largest network of bean experts and partners spanning 31 countries. Members of the network are responsible for breeding, evaluating, disseminating and safeguarding Africa’s largest collection of beans.
The Scientist in Nutrition will conduct research studies in areas of human nutrition and food technology relevant to beans including biofortified bean varieties and also facilitate collaborative food security, nutrition and health research for development initiatives among partners.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
· Conduct research studies in areas of human nutrition and food technology relevant to beans including biofortified varieties within PABRA.
· Facilitate collaborative food security, nutrition and health research for development initiatives among partners primarily in East and Central African Bean Research Network but also in other PABRA regions.
· Develop stronger partnerships in the East and Central Africa, but also WECABREN region to further the PABRA nutrition agenda.
· Facilitate overall integration of bean technologies into community based nutrition support systems for combating malnutrition.
· Provide technical support capacity building and mentorship to relevant partners to facilitate technology uptake and utilization and in collaboration with impact specialists, conduct adoption and impact studies.
· Develop rigorous research designs and monitoring and evaluation strategies for nutrition and health related research and development work with partners.
· Conduct adoption and impact studies on the above research in collaboration with impact specialists.
· Contribute to knowledge management in nutrition and make available relevant information to partners to promote and facilitate technology uptake.
· Publish research findings in peer reviewed journals and CIAT publications.
· Contribute aggressively in developing collaborative nutrition research and development projects and in mobilization of new financial resources.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
· The candidate should have a PhD Nutrition, Food Science or a closely related field.
· Should have at least 5 years of professional work experience in agriculture, health and nutrition
· Experience with food consumption studies, sensory evaluation, and focus group discussions
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English with good working knowledge of French is preferred.
· Good publications record
· Ability and capability to manage professional relationships, working in a complex, intercultural, and highly dynamic working environment
Terms of employment:
The position is internationally recruited and based at the CIAT Africa Offices in Kampala, Uganda. The contract will be for a two-year period, subject to probation period of three (3) months, renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. CIAT offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details of the position and to submit their applications, clearly indicating position applied for as AO-2035 Scientist in Nutrition. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s lastname, first name for ease of sorting.
CIAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIAT also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Applications closing date: 29th September 2018
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI