By International Organization for Migration Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 09 Oct 2018
Position Title : Database Management Officer
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 09 October 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Emergency Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Needs and Population Monitoring (NPM) Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop, implement and maintain an integrated mechanism for data collection using but not limited to, the Open Data Kit (ODK) platform and Kobo toolbox as a set of assessments tools.
Identify, develop, implement, and support technology solutions for Information Management and database system related support for all IOM Bangladesh mission in line with ITC policies and standards.
Assist IMS Officer in the supervision of data management activities including the collection, submission, quality control mechanisms and the transfer of data from an ODK server (MySQL) to NPM server (SQL).
Support in designing solutions to integrate, centralize and automate data and information management within the program for enhanced achievement of displacement related data.
Develop and maintain MySQL and SQL Servers.
Support and assure the integrity and availability of mission-wide data systems, including proper backup/restore systems, data validation and security procedures.
Provide support to reporting data and data analysis.
Develop specific program guidelines and procedures related to information systems, including required data collection instruments and manuals to be used for field level data collection exercises and ensure that these are correctly implemented.
Support in the training of staff involved in data entry and data processing to ensure proper maintenance and quality of different information and database needs.
Supervise NPM Senior Database Manager assistant and provide guidance to enumerators and field officers.
Provide technical support to the IOM programme coordinators, on the design and implementation of ODK, Kobo or similar platforms.
Provide user support and the system training to the staff on ODK, Kobo or similar platforms and the appropriate databases.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• At least one year of experience using the following tools: Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Visual Studio (ASP .NET C#), SQL Server. Experience in the development and implementation of population database systems (such as registrations, census or surveys);
• Minimum one year of experience in systems analysis and development, data modelling and
• Minimum one year of experience in develop and maintaining data system with ODK/Kobo;
• Previous experience in humanitarian emergency context;
• Previous experience in the region or country is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 09 October 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 03.10.2018 to 09.10.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/244 (P) – Database Management Officer (P2) – Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Posting: Posting NC55677154 (55677154) Released
Read more here:: ReliefWeb