By Armed Conflict Location and Events Dataset Organization: Armed Conflict Location and Events Dataset
Closing date: 31 Oct 2018
The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a research project which records, publishes and analyses disaggregated data on violent political conflict. These data are publicly available, along with analysis and information about the project, at www.acleddata.com. These data are used for a range of purposes, from academic research on dynamics of conflict to informing diplomatic policy, and humanitarian and development work in conflict-affected contexts.
ACLED is recruiting a part- OR full-time Communications Manager who will be responsible for the following tasks:
Strategy: Working with the management team to determine the overarching communications strategy for ACLED and ensuring its execution.
Public Engagement and Outreach: Plan and manage ACLED’s outreach and engagement strategy including:
- Identify and propose new media contacts and institutional partners based on ACLED’s objectives and priorities (as determined by leadership);
- Determine channels of communication and outreach strategy for media and partners identified;
- Generate tailored outreach strategy for media and potential partners based on their focus, priorities and the objectives of the partnership/contact;
- Manage the subsequent relationship with media and partners by directly responding to questions about the project, data, team, sources, and analysis (effectively act as a spokesperson);
- Outreach will also involve the creation of materials and presentation content for trainings and public appearances presenting ACLED.
Branding: Lead efforts to boost brand recognition, including support on graphic design/layout when needed;
Social Media: Determine a social media strategy and execute it (posting to Twitter, Youtube, etc.) together with the Communications Officer;
- Engagement with community of ACLED users, peers, partners and others on ACLED, ACLED analysis and data and ACLED partners.
- Social media strategy will include a focus on moving beyond simply publishing content to deeper engagement with the larger community on Twitter, exchanging on the substance of comments and questions and creating an ongoing conversation on Twitter. Web content management: Oversee the development of a new ACLED website and dashboard (may include development of an application as well) and lead the web content management on existing and new website (supported by Communications Officer);
Mass emailing: Lead production and oversee execution of mass email campaigns ensuring regular communication with ACLED’s user base (with Communications Officer);
Analytics: Support tracking and data collection (M&E) on outreach and data usage (e.g. Google Analytics, Twitter Analytics, and other tools such as interviews/surveys).
Skills and Competencies
ACLED is seeking applicants who have the following skills and experience:
- Fluency in English and strong writing skills is essential; fluency in other languages (especially French, Arabic, and/or Spanish) desired;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (essential);
- Background in conflict and security with deep understanding of global conflict and comfort with quantitative data and analysis (essential) (Higher degree in a relevant area preferred; work experience in lieu of degree accepted);
- Regional expertise in regions covered by ACLED (preferred);
- Familiarity with ACLED dataset (preferred);
- Strong understanding of and experience working with media (candidates with journalism experience and a network of existing relevant media contacts strongly preferred);
- Experience in public outreach/engagement and partnership development (essential);
- Experience running social media successful campaigns (especially Twitter) essential;
- Experience in web content management (especially WordPress) essential and in working with developers to build or revamp a website (preferred);
- Experience overseeing mass emailing campaigns (especially Mailchimp) preferred;
- Ability to work remotely with limited supervision;
- Extremely high attention to detail;
- Experience with software such as Trendkite (preferred);
- 5-7 years of experience in communications or public relations at a non-profit organization or in journalism.
How to apply:
To apply, please visit ACLED’s career portal to submit a CV and cover letter detailing qualifications and experience.
Further information on the project is available online at acleddata.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply as soon as possible.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI