By CIVICUS Organization: CIVICUS
Closing date: 23 Oct 2018
At CIVICUS our focus is simple: to strengthen civil society and citizen action for a more just, inclusive and sustainable world. We do this by defending civic freedoms and democratic values; strengthening the power of people to organise, mobilise and take action; and empowering a more accountable, effective and innovative civil society.
We work for civil society, protecting and growing civic space’, by which we mean: the freedoms of expression, association and assembly – the fundamental freedoms that enable organisations and individuals the right to speak out, organise and take action. We strive to promote excluded voices, especially from the Global South, and have a growing alliance of more than 4000 members in more than 175 countries.
We know that this is a time of big global challenges for civil society and the world, but we also know that our members and partners have big responses. Our role is to connect, amplify and scale these responses and, in doing so, strengthen the contribution of citizen action and civil society.
Drawing on over 25 years of experience, we are working to build on our strengths while also exploring new ways of working. CIVICUS’ Strategic Plan 2017-2022 sets the strategic direction for the secretariat and alliance. It articulates who we are, what we strive to achieve, how we work and how we define our success.
How we make a difference:
Given the nature and extent of the challenges facing humanity we believe in being bold and creative by:
- Building solidarity among civil society across borders and at scale
- Supporting civil society to connect with others
- Producing timely and world-class knowledge and analysis
- Advocating for open spaces and systemic change
- Amplifying voices of those usually not included
- Promoting resourcing of a diverse and resilient civil society
- Innovating and incubating bold initiatives
- Promoting, modeling and disseminating civil society best practices
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE:
Do you want to contribute to a more diverse and resilient civil society? Are you a multi-tasker with excellent communication, social media engagement and event organisation skills? Do you like working in a complex, international environment? we’d love to have you as a colleague!
CIVICUS is looking for a good, creative communicator and organiser with a heart for development and social justice, who wants to support us in engaging, inspiring and influencing civil society and the broad funding community to push for more and better resources for citizen action and particularly civil society groups from the edges.
What are you going to do?
Select and curate content and stories to mainstream civil society resourcing issues in CIVICUS communications (30% of total workload)
● Source inspiring and relevant thought-pieces/reports for our newsletter and our community of practice
● Create periodic content (text, images, video) to build meaningful connections and engagement for each specific network. This for example includes interviews/videos with key informers, infographics/postcards on relevant data/stories, reaching out to members and others to author pieces for our blog, virtual community or other outlets, and curating a user-friendly, “living” directory of various progressive actors providing resources to civil society.
Engage different networks around civil society resourcing (20% of total workload)
● Engage conversations on social media
● Moderate a dedicated online community of practice
● Support in creating mailers and messages to members on relevant themes
Event planning and coordination (40 % of total workload)
● Support staff and designated experts in organising consultations, convenings and other events
● Support overall logistical processes for participation in related events
● Help organise calls/webinars/meetings and keep records
Administrative and other support (10 % of total workload)
You will help with administrative responsibilities within the civil society resourcing workstream, particularly the project “Strengthening 21st century citizen action”
● Support the tracking of activities to assess progress and learn from current practices
● Provide information for the periodic reporting as required and ensure coordination with internal and external partners
● Support in carrying out network mapping activities and manage constituent information
● Assist with the development of innovative tools and promotional material for effective knowledge sharing, campaigning, networking and resource mobilisation
● Perform other duties as may be assigned by the direct report.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with an affinity for engaging diverse crowds both online and offline and for curating inspiring contents for this purpose. A social and creative person, you are a good organizer and like to work independently as well as with people from different backgrounds and cultures working in dispersed, virtual teams from different time-zones. You do not shy away from a challenge, take responsibility and can quickly switch between activities, both online and offline. You are practical and result-oriented, you have great communication skills, you love to tackle big goals for a more just and sustainable world. You have a good command of English and of another official UN Language.
Qualifications, skills, and experience
● Relevant degree/diploma
● Three years’ minimum experience in civil society or related field, inclusive of volunteer work
● Familiar with civil society, development and human rights issues; understanding the challenges faced by marginalised citizens and organisations – especially those in the Global South – particularly around resource mobilisation
● In depth understanding of online engagement tactics – experience with social media engagement and moderation of communities of practice
● Experience in conference / event organisation, preferably of international events
● Ability to effectively support the development and implementation of plans and strategies in a collaborative environment
● Ability to document findings and processes to enhance organisational learning
● Computer literacy, including collaborative applications such as SharePoint, Google Docs etc
What we offer:
· A stimulating work environment in an international, dynamic organization with diverse, informal and very dedicated team.
· An opportunity to contribute to the growth and impact of this new important workstream (civil society resourcing) and the related community of practice
· Get exposure to events and thought leadership related to global civil society
· Get access to a wide network of inspiring activists, innovators and funders
Location: Any CIVICUS Hub, Johannesburg, SA preferred or with regular travel to Johannesburg
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: US$40 000.00 per annum
Duration: 12 months, renewable
How to apply:
To apply, please submit:
· a motivational letter,
· detailed CV with
· contact details of three current referees
to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday the 23 October 2018
Samples of content produced for online communities/social media as well as webpages of events organised pages will be appreciated.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb