By African Union – InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources Organization: African Union – InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources
Closing date: 19 Oct 2018
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of regular and short-term vacant posts.
It is imperative for the African Union to cultivate and nurture a culture of ethics and the highest standards of professional and ethical conduct in order to earn the public trust necessary to accomplish the Union’s mission and create a positive, productive and motivating work environment. It’s Code of Ethics and Conduct sets out the values and principles to guide the conduct and behaviour of African Union staff members and officials. Its purpose is to provide support and guidance for appropriate, ethical behaviour as well as to hold staff members and officials accountable for any lapses in behaviour.
The AU Ethics Officer is an independent and autonomous body reporting to the Executive Council through the Chairperson of the African Union Commission. It is tasked to promote the core values of the organization and an ethical culture in all the Union Organs. The Office provides impartial confidential advice and guidance to staff member and elected officials on ethical matters and ensures compliance with Union values. It protects the integrity of the organization and guides staff members in conducting themselves with the highest ethical standards.
The African Union Commission invites applicants who are citizens of Member States to fill in the Consultancy post in the Ethics Office hosted at the Headquarters of the African Union Commission.
Objective of the Assignment
The Ethics Office is currently understaff and lacks the capacity to effectively deliver on its mandate. In order to fill this capacity gap, the AU Commission need to recruit an ethics practitioner for six (6) months while finalizing the recruitment of Ethics Office staff members. The consultant will work with the Chief of Ethics.
Scope of the Assignment
The Scope of the Assignment will entail the following:
- Finalizing the review of the ethics Policies and Staff Rules
- Providing training for Elected Officials and Staff members of the African Union
- Improving on the efficiency of the Ethics Office
- Researching and developing delegated authority policy for the Union
- Providing thematic ethics trainings
The consultant will be working on the aforementioned scope of the assignment and delivering the following items over the course of 6 months:
- Provide ethics reports on advisory assistance provided to the Ethics Office
- Provide staff training reports
- Provide a draft of the delegated authority policy
Duration of the Assignment and Payment Arrangements
The duration of the assignment is for six (6) months.
The Consultant will be paid a monthly fee of American $10,000 (ten thousand). This amount includes all of the Consultant’s professional fees, reimbursable and profits as well as any tax obligation that may be imposed on the Consultant. Initial travel to and from the duty station and any additional travel necessary for the successful completion of the assignment, duly authorised in advance by the Client in writing will be paid for at the rate of the most direct economy return flight, as well as a subsistence allowance in accordance with the AU Rules and Regulations.
Qualification and Experience
The Consultant would be selected based on the following minimum educational and experience criteria:
- Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in public administration and management, law, political science or any related Social Sciences or human resources related background and education.
- At least Eight (8) years work experience on ethics at a managerial level
- Experience in providing training on key values of the African Union
- Demonstrate competence in research and drafting of ethics reports and policies
- Computer literately and well versed in the use of the Internet, Power Point, Excel and Word. Keep abreast with other available technology.
- Have excellent writing, negotiating, analytical and communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Fluency in in English is required. Knowledge of other African Union official languages (Arabic and/or Portuguese) would be an added advantage.
The African Union Commission now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested candidate must provide information demonstrating that he/she has the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. Consulting firms may propose individual consultants, but only the experience and qualifications of individuals shall be used in the selection process, and that his or her corporate experience shall not be taken into account, and the contract would be signed with the proposed individual.
Evaluation and qualification criteria
For evaluation of the expressions of interest the following criteria will be applied:
- General Education Qualification and Relevant Training(20 Points)
- Experience related to the Assignment(60 Points)
- Technical Approach and Methodology (20 Points)
Interested candidates are requested to submit the following documents for AUC’s consideration as an attachment to their CVs:
Technical Proposal on:
- understanding and interpretation of the TOR
- methodology to be used in undertaking the assignment
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours 8:00-13:00hrs and 14:00-17:00 hours Local Time.
How to apply:
Proposal must be delivered in a written form to the address below not later than 15:00 hours local time, October 19th, 2018.
African Union Commission,
Attn: Carine Toure Yemitia (Mrs.)
Head of Procurement Travel and Store Division
Building C, Room 327
P.O.Box 3243, Roosevelt Street
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Tel: +251 (0) 11 551 7700 – Ext 4305
Fax: +251 (0) 11 551 0442; +251 11-551-0430
Read more here:: ReliefWeb