By Pacific Community Organization: Pacific Community
Closing date: 27 Oct 2018
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Land Resources Division (LRD) provides advice, technical assistance, research and training support to Pacific Island countries and territories (PICTs) on all aspects of agriculture and forestry. This includes plant protection, conservation, plant genetic resources, animal health and production, agroforestry, biosecurity and trade facilitation, and sustainable systems for agriculture, forestry and land management. This work has two objectives: improved food and nutritional security and resilient communities. The division’s services are provided through seven technical/thematic teams: Animal Health and Production; Plant Health; Biosecurity and Trade Facilitation; Forest and Agriculture Diversification; Crop Production and Extension; Genetic Resources; and Forests and Trees.
The role – The Finance and Administration Assistant will provide all programme administration and finance tasks to ensure the delivery of the project activities primarily supporting the Sustainable Forests and Land Management program. The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Provide financial and procurement support to ensure the delivery of activities within the program
- Provide administrative support to ensure the delivery of project activities
- Provide logistical support to ensure the successful delivery of project meetings, conferences, technical support, training and learning events
- Assist with other program activities where required
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided online.
Key selection criteria
- Diploma in in finance, accounting or business administration or equivalent work experience
Knowledge and experience
- At least three years of experience in project administration and systems management (preferably in a donor related environment)
- Demonstrated experience in conference management and event organisation, logistics and travel, including for large, complex regional events
- Experience in managing procurement, purchase orders, invoicing, payment and other finance processes
- Demonstrated organisational skills with ability to prioritise workload and complete work under deadlines
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 31 December 2020
Remuneration – This is a full-time position at Band 6 in SPC’s 2018 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of FJD 1,801‒2,251 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
How to apply:
Closing Date – 27 October 2018
Applicants must apply online at: http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
What are some of the important aspects to account for when tracking expenditure under a project?
Describe your experience when arranging a workshop
Record keeping is vital to operations. Describe your experience with maintaining a filing system.
A child protection policy-screening requirement: Have you been convicted of any offences involving children?
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT