By Pacific Community Organization: Pacific Community
Closing date: 27 Oct 2018
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides organisational governance and support to SPC divisions and programmes in areas including administration, finance, human resources, ICT and knowledge management.
The role – The Finance Assistant will provide operational support to the Finance Section of OMD in the following areas: payments of local and foreign transfers, vendor management and reconciliation, advances and acquittals, financial processing, and other functions as required. The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Processing payments – Process payment requests received from programmes/sections; liaise with other SPC offices and banking partners to facilitate payments; manage finance office petty cash floats and prepare financial reports and schedules for external audits of projects.
- Vendor reconciliations and customer invoicing – Perform monthly reconciliation of ledger balances; clear all reconciled items with suppliers in a timely manner; ensure Navision (NAV) is regularly updated and also keep track of outstanding invoices.
- Advances and acquittals – Clear workshop/activity advances in a timely manner; reconcile acquittals received and ensure documentation meets SPC audit standards; post any adjustments to Navision and track the payment status of advances.
- Financial processing – Post all staff account transactions in time for salary processing; ensure payments are matched against purchase orders on Navision and assigned accounts are reconciled appropriately.
- General office activities – File all general ledger and payment documentations; maintain the finance archiving system; ensure bank signatory lists and driver authorizations are up-to-date and attend to requests on Finance Helpdesk.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided online.
Key selection criteria
- Diploma in Accounting, Finance or related discipline from a recognised institution
Knowledge and experience
- At least three years of experience in project accounting
- Sound knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Windows, and accounting software preferably MS Navision
- Demonstrated capacity to create and/or maintain financial systems, conducting procurement and cash disbursement processes
- Ability to work under pressure, with a team-oriented approach
- Demonstrated organisational skills with ability to prioritize workload and complete work under deadlines.
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Three years
Remuneration – This is a full-time position at Band 6 in SPC’s 2018 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of FJD 1,801‒2,251 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
SPC is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. SPC’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child. Successful candidates will be required to provide a police clearance certificate.
How to apply:
Closing Date – 27 October 2018
Applicants must apply online at: http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
Describe your experience working with a computerized accounting system – what module did you use.
Have you managed advances and acquittals? If yes, please describe
Describe your experience in data processing and managing vendor and receivables? How do you ensure accurate processing of data
A child protection policy-screening requirement: Have you been convicted of any offences involving children?
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT