By Save the Children Organization: Save the Children
Closing date: 18 Oct 2018
Regional Advocacy, Media and Communications Director
MEEE Regional Office
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Regional Office Senior Management Team
LOCATION: Amman – Jordan
CONTRACT: Fixed Term – 24 months
Child Safeguarding: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
ROLE PURPOSE: As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) in the RO, the Advocacy, Media and Communications Director shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Regional Office. The Advocacy, Media and Communications Director in his/her capacity is responsible for providing leadership to ensure excellence in our public and private facing advocacy, media and communications on the conflicts in the region and other regional issues and building and maintaining effective working relationships with COs and members and their donors.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
· Reports to: MEEE Regional Director
· Dimensions: The MEEE Regional Office
· Staff directly reporting to this post: Regional Information and Communications Manager, Regional Media Manager, Regional Children and Armed Conflict Advocacy Manager, Regional Campaigns and Advocacy Manager
· Representation of SCI in public forums.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
As a member of the Senior Management Team, contribute to:
· Leadership of the Regional Office
· Support the development of an organisational culture that reflects our values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children
· Help design and implement a coherent organizational structure that is consistent with agency practices and appropriate to programme needs
· Ensure Regional Office complies with all Save the Children Management Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures
· Ensure that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies
Building and maintaining effective relationships and enhanced coordination with Country Offices and Members
- Ensure evidence based and field driven advocacy based on the challenges and issues that we see in the field
- Ensure sufficient capacity in the region and COs so that our approach is field driven and CO and RO have the right capacity to produce strong and impactful advocacy, media and communications
- Ensure strong coordination between COs and with RO on advocacy, media and communications
· Lead the coordination of humanitarian advocacy in the region and with SC members, ensuring the development, implementation and monitoring of advocacy strategies for each humanitarian response
· Effectively manage regional sign off processes for Advocacy, Media and Comms products and ensure that the COs are consulted on products and that members and COs adhere to agreed protocols for sign off, public messaging and advocacy/media related field visits
· Work with Country Offices and members to ensure appropriate resourcing and timely delivery of advocacy and communications products
· Provide necessary support to Country Offices on advocacy, media and communications during key global moments or surges of activity
Media and Communications
· Supervise regional media and communications staff, ensuring they have the capacity and tools to deliver high quality products
· Lead on crisis communications for the region
· Sign off on all media releases and ensure that sign off protocols for media and comms products are adhered to
· Ensure a high profile for Save the Children in the region and globally through overseeing the production of high quality, well researched, and well written products (in a variety of mediums), responding quickly and appropriately to external requests for information, especially in emergencies
· Develop and deliver a clear and effective system for internal communications including the dissemination of newsletters and other documents and publications for internal stakeholders including being able to scale up the delivery of robust communications material during emergencies per the agreed protocols and requests from Members and Save the Children International
Advocacy and Campaigns
· Supervise RO advocacy and campaigns staff, ensure they have the capacity and tools to deliver high quality advocacy and campaigns
· Sign off on all advocacy products and ensure that proper sign off processes are followed
· Represent Save the Children in high level advocacy on issues to regional level targets.
· Support the development of advocacy strategies for the Country Offices.
- Ensure COs are producing strong and relevant advocacy and campaigns in their markets
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Media, Communications and Advocacy
· Ensure appropriate staffing within Media, Communications and Advocacy, both in the RO and COs
· Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their role
· Manage Media, Communications and Advocacy team, matrix manage AMC focal points in COs; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
· Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities
· Manage the performance of all staff in the work area through:
o Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
o Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
o Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
o Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ workplans
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Masters degree in an area of social development, political science, or other relevant field
· Substantial experience in an NGO environment, able to successfully lead the development and implementation of advocacy and campaign strategies for an international humanitarian organisation
· Demonstrable track record of leading change which has led to significant results for the organisation and their stakeholders
· Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure.
· Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
· Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills, with experience in managing multicultural teams.
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
· Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets
· Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner
· Experience of building personal networks, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organisation
· Has a strong international network within policy, advocacy and media
· Excellent writing and presentation skills in English; Arabic language skills are a plus
· Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
· Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
· Commitment to Save the Children values
· Previous experience in the Middle East and/or Eastern Europe desirable
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to apply:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at
the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard. We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children.
We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued. Application Information:Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current
remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection
of children from abuse.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb