By Kimetrica Organization: Kimetrica
Closing date: 12 Oct 2018
Kimetrica is a social enterprise with a mission to increase the effectiveness of spending in the social sector. We provide software to support evidence-based humanitarian decision-making and learning. We help governments and non-profit organisations increase the impact and efficiency of their social investments, enhance accountability, manage critical risks, and build donor or taxpayer confidence.
About the Position
Kimetrica is seeking a mid level data analyst with strong Python skills and strong experience in geospatial analysis, to join Kimetrica’s Data Lab. You will manage a team of analysts focused on analysis of climate, economic, environmental and health conditions in developing countries and fragile states. You will be able to lead the development of spatial data resources and production of meaningful map products for policy makers. You are will be familiar with a range of remote sensing data sources and be equally competent with handling raster and vector data.
In addition to strong geo-spatial analysis tools, you will have the ability to think strategically, identify critical data gaps, and define strategies, tools and processes for improving our acquisition, management and analysis of data resources.
Current projects are focused on analysing human conditions in conflict-affected populations and evaluating interventions. This is an opportunity to influence policy-making in leading international institutions for the benefit of some of the World’s most vulnerable communities.
This position will require flexibility and a strong desire to work with others and a globally-dispersed team to assist with the development of key deliverables.
The position will develop accurate, meaningful and high impact analysis based on deep data resources. Specifically, the Data Analyst will:
· Develop Python scripts for geo-spatial analysis and document methods;
· Manage data acquisition, normalization, cleaning and analysis processes;
· Liaise with the relevant project managers to understand their GIS requirements;
· Produce high quality cartographic products with assistance from graphic designers as needed;
· Develop and implement strategies for improving access to and management of data resources, particularly of geo-spatial data;
· Manage data archives and metadata; and
· Liaise with software developers to ensure that methods conform to best practices;
· Track tasking and code commits in Git.
· Graduate degree in a discipline with a strong statistical focus;
· 3+ years experience in GIS and geospatial analysis;
· Experience managing large datasets and excellent understanding of metadata
· Good working knowledge of Python including Geopandas and other geospatial libraries;
· Sharp analytical skills and problem-solving abilities;
· Ideally, strong cartographic skills;
· Strong organizational skills and ability to think proactively and strategically;
· Experience with Git an advantage;
· A desire to make a positive impact on the World.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with the candidate’s capabilities and experience. At Kimetrica, you will work alongside innovative thinkers at the forefront of developing new methods and technologies for humanitarian and development decision making. You will find a place where you can apply your skills to address some of the world’s most challenging problems, in an environment where intellectual curiosity forms a common thread among our technical and management teams.
The position is Nairobi based.
We offer the following:
Highly competitive salary package
Health, Dental, Optical and Life insurance
Generous vacation (24 days per year), holiday, and sick leave
Friendly and stimulating working environment
Major opportunities for career growth and on-the-job learning
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a CV and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line of your email “Data Analyst: Geospatial Focus.” Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb