By Wellcome Trust Organization: Wellcome Trust
Closing date: 12 Oct 2018
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is one of the leading research centres in Africa. The Programme engages in a wide range of research on the main causes of ill health in Africa.
The Bioscience department, KWTRP is seeking to appoint a postdoctoral researcher to work in the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technologies to relevant infectious diseases projects. The postdoc will oversee the day-to-day activities of the high throughput NGS facility, operate and monitor the performance of the MiSeq and Oxford Nanopore NGS platforms. Provide up-to-date technical expertise, advice and support on molecular techniques. In addition, there is potential to develop independent research along-side the core sequencing responsibilities.
- Biobank fellow
- Head of labs.
- Administration of core sequencing related funds.
- Management of any independent project funding awarded.
- Day-to-day activities of the high throughput NGS facility, operate and monitor the performance of the MiSeq and Oxford Nanopore NGS platforms.
- Optimize protocols for preparing NGS libraries for targeted, whole genome and transcriptome, shotgun and 16s metagenomics sequencing applied to the MiSeq and Oxford Nanopore DNA sequencing platforms.
- Manage, plan and forecast inventory for the NGS facility.
- Propose and develop new approaches for efficient sequencing of biological specimens.
- Work with scientist and students on sequencing needs arising from research work.
- PhD in molecular biology, genome sciences, biochemistry, cellular biology, or a related field.
- Strong background in molecular biology ability to work independently, and outstanding communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Prior experience in NGS library preparation, sequencing and data analysis is essential.
- Experience in infectious tropical disease genetics and advanced computing knowledge is desirable
- Keen interest in research
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
How to apply:
To apply for this role please click on the link below:-
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI